Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super Major Load - Cleaner powder than SR4756?

lvipscshooter

Pretty much I am looking for cleaner for the sake of cleaner. I haven't had any malfunctions due to the dirt and grime, and I can usually get @ 1200-1500 rounds before a deep clean. It just looks so dirty after even just a few rounds that I think it's going to quit running at any moment!! Does anyone make a CMJ in .356? I've tried the MG 124gr hollow points and CMJs in .355 and the Precision Delta are much more accurate out of my gun then the other two

Interesting....I haven't tried that PD bullet, but Zero does make .356 121gr and 125gr JHPs that might fit the bil...if you can get them. R,

• 2 years later...

Interesting that now @ 3 years later I am back to almost a similar situation. Discovered the excess fouling I was seeing was due to a improper barrel during. Anyhow, here is another question on this one. Anyone think I can make major with IMR 7625 with the same barrel and comp, now with 124gr Berrys Hard Plate bullets?

I know the guys I've talked to that tried 7625, didn't have any issues making major. Their biggest complaints were inconsistent weights, going through the powder measure, and, like 4756, different lot numbers chronoed different.

On the subject of bullets, I've never liked pushing plated bullets to major, but, if that's all you can lay your hands on, use them. I prefer Zero 125 grain jhp, .356, but, they have pretty much been almost non-existent for the last couple of years. I've been running mostly PD 124 grain jhp, and even though they don't LOOK as pretty as the Zeros, they will shoot sub inch at 25 yards out of both open guns, and are cheaper than Zeros.

I just checked Precision Delta's website, and see they had another price increase. 124 grain jhps are up to $98k, with an estimated 18 week wait.

• 1 month later...

7625 burns the cleanest in my opinion, 350 is not far behind though. My old favorite was Win 540 but I haven't seen it in more than 12 years, I believe this is what HS-6 has now become. It was dirty as anything at the new PF but was acceptably clean at 180-182 PF.

I use loadshot...er longshot out of a 38 super revolver. Clean enough for me and clean is very important. Unburnt powder under star = tied up gun.

7.5gr

Fed 200

Starline Brass

125gr LRN Bayous

5.5" barrel

1.250 oal

Edited by BlueOvalBandit