Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failure to lock back G17 Gen3

Tul9033

I've had this problem for a few months now on a stock G17 w/ 3.5 connector. It's a competition gun and am slowly chipping away at possible causes.

Initially I had an extended slide stop which I though was the problem, but went back to the stock stop and still have the problem. Shot 5 stages today and it failed to lock back twice on an empty mag..

Just swapped out my mags for a new set this match hoping that was the cause, so that's out. Stock recoil spring with about 3K rounds through it.

About the only thing left to suspect are light loads, but my 147gr loads are 130PF.

Any other ideas? I'm tempted to try a lighter recoil spring even though this problem never occured early on when the gun was new. A new stock spring (stiffer) would seem to make the problem worse.

I'm aware of my grip and am not close to the slide lock when firing.

Edited by Tul9033

First check the recoil assembly close for any gouges or grooves on the rod.

"Something" is interfering with full cycling.

Another pinch of fuel? Up to 135 PF perhaps.

Can't eliminate you until someone else wrings it out with 100+ rounds.

Jim

A good pistolsmith once told me something I have never forgotten: "Whenever a previously 100 percent reliable gun suddenly starts puking on you, the first thing you should always ask yourself is, 'What did I change?'" You dropped your load, your gun stopped locking back 100 percent. There's your problem. A Glock with OEM spring and 130ish load is a problematic combination.