Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New EAA Limited Pro

Rudolfo

Hi guys and gals,

I'm new to the forum, and new to USPSA and IDPA shooting. I used to shoot bullseye pistol back in the early 80s to early 90s. HP rifle, too. Started into shotgunning, sporting clays mostly, and drifted away from pistol and rifle by about '92. Back then, Enos and Leatham were the hot young guns. I actually built a 1911 to shoot IPSC with, but never shot in a match. All that stuff got sold off by late 90s.

We had a cross-club fun shoot between our shotgun club and the practical shooting club over the hill last month. I shot a borrowed pistol and ended up with about a 50% score in limited against several A-class shooters at the top of the heap (30 shooters total). Not too bad, and had a lot of fun. Shot another USPSA match 2 wks ago (a different borrowed glock), and an IDPA match last weekend with a borrowed SIG P229. In the meantime, I was looking for a new or used pistol to call my own. After a lot of looking, I ordered an EAA Limited Pro in 9 mm. Production legal, and the local club guys said they allow it in IDPA club matches (it's a 1/4" too long). I might buy a standard length conversion kit for it in the future so it would be fully legal for IDPA.

~~~

So, the new pistol came in yesterday. General appearance is nice. Parts of the frame and slide (both stainless steel I think) that are not flat have a bead-blasted finish. Side flat surfaces have a surface ground finish. Very smooth, but not shiny or mirror-like. The laser-etched (I think that is the method used) words are pretty light. Visible if you look closely, but not really visible from a few feet away. Fit and finish overall pretty good. The front-strap and back-strap checkered "pads" are SHARP. I will need to polish at the top edge some, or I will end up with a sore middle finger - THAT SHARP. Grip checkering is also nicely pointed. Slide fit and barrel fit are good - about as expected for a mid-grade factory gun.

Trigger - some failings by Tanfoglio/EAA here - at least on this particular gun.

DA pull is rough, uneven, and heavy. Have not weighed it yet, but I'm betting near 14-15#. The DA break is acceptable.

SA pull has a lot of creep, a slight extra weight just before break, and a weird break feel.

On inspection, the SA sear engagement is uneven, and it even looks strange where hammer hooks engage. This will be seeing some immediate work to try and correct. Interestingly, the sear engagement on the half-cock hooks looks a lot better, and actually has a better feel (also accounting for the reduced mainspring pressure which makes the pull weight lighter - not just that).

As listed elsewhere in this forum and by Henning Wallgren, there are a number of points in the trigger mechanism needing smoothing and polishing, and probably some spring changes as well.

I will scale the trigger as is, perform some tuning, re-scale, and report back once the job is done.

I'll try and get some macro-photos before and after to post. May be of some help to other EAA/Tanfo owners.

Randy

welcom to the forums great place for info and the people are great also.. When I first seen the EAA was turned of by the bright finish and + I had very little knowledge of the EAA, a friend of mine pick one up about a month ago and is a great gun I must say.. thoe in a 45acp not heavy recoil is smooth I like how the slide sits high he said he paid $6??.and some change! not bad I must say..... any hoo, again welcome to the forums!

Great gun for the money and you will almost be an instant

gunsmith when owning an EAA. Lots of improvements to be made

with your dremel out of the box. Once this gun is tuned, its scarry accurate

and lots of fun to shoot with. Email Henning for any questions

or just post it here. We will try to help as we all like to tinker

with our guns.Its part of being a gun fanatic and I certainly love it. Hope this helps.

Regards,

SB