Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli loading area modifications, how much is too much?

Kevin Holman

On a Benelli M1 - I know a common mod is to remove material from the loading area to ease in stuffing shells, and have read many threads on this topic.

However - mow much is too much removal?

In the pic below is mine - it was done by Benny.

It seems that you could remove a lot of material from the upper area circled in yellow, and curve the open space to match your thumb, and really make it easier to load shells past the shell stop and firther reduce any chance of benelli thumb?

benelliload.jpg

If you take too much out then the magazine follower may not run true in the tube and cause excess binding when trying to load. Might keep the thumb from getting caught but could be extra stiff in trying to load when the follower cocks to the side.

Unless I am missunderstanding what your saying Adam, if you take off enough to effect the follower and allow it to move side to side you have ruined your receiver. There is a little lip inside the magazine tube that the follower stops on. Don't get anywehere near that lip. You can hog out a bunch more than you have done there. The sides can be taken really low based on some guns I saw at the High Plains Shotgun match this year.

Here is a picture of the minimum that should be done.

BenelliM1Super90-7.jpg

I have since removed a bunch more and my thumb is loving it. I need to take some new photos.

Edited by jtischauser

If you take too much out then the magazine follower may not run true in the tube and cause excess binding when trying to load. Might keep the thumb from getting caught but could be extra stiff in trying to load when the follower cocks to the side.

The seems like that would be really hard to do. But I am no expert here.

The follower is very long, I would think you would have to remove a massive amount of material to make it not run true... as soon as the shell pushed it back at all, it would be identical to an unmodified receiver. It appears to have a little over 1/8" of material that could be removed, before you impact the shelf which stops the follower.

Even if you DID cut into that area where the shelf is, you would only impact about 15% of the diameter of the shelf that stops the follower. I am thinking that cannot have much impact.

But then again, only thinking. :unsure: I am not about to cut into my receiver just yet.

Jesse, I dont have a Benelli, but I have found on my Mossberg that I have filed on that I took a fair bit of material off right on the bottom and kinda made the bottom of the reciever funnel into the tube, to the point where I filed the tube as well where it meets up with the reciever. Using the follower that came with the Choate tube it was allowing it to bind and make the first 2 or 3 shelss stiff to shove in but after that it went smooth. I have since switched out the choke follower and put the factory metal one back in and its slicker than a street walker.

The futher you get your thumb foward into the tube, the more the follower can slip back & bite your thumb more. When loading, just bend your thumb slightly , the first knockle behind the thumbnail will hold the lifter out of your way.

My M2 is cut (by Benny) like the one in the first pic by the OP. When I picked it up from Benny I questioned him as to why there wasnt more removed and he explained to me how yo can cut up into the lower portion just aft of the loading tube and permanently damage the receiver. So, I slightly adapted the way I position my hand/thumb in the loading process and to date I've never loaded my thumb, ripped off a fingernail, or inadvertantly removed skin in either practice or during the fog of a match.

You have enough off there. I have seen loading ports cut too far forward and they invariably start jamming and the follower gets out too far. You can reach in and feel the barrel end, just smooth it a little with some some sandpaper. After taking the barrel off, of course. Nice work by Benny.

Nice work by Benny.

Yes it is! We get no points for looking good at a match, but I'd rather spend a little money and have a professional looking job done by someone who knows what they are doing than hacking away at my receiver w/ my dremel.

Compare the shell release pin hole in the 2 pictures & you will notice I cut the whole receiver down .100 futher so you don't have to put your thumb in as far.

Thanks Benny - I am thinking from your comments I will leave it alone until I learn to shoot and load with it some more.

The carrier is being mailed off to c-rums for a weld-up in the morning.

I took it to the range today to bust some clays, and tried 4 different crappy light load birdshot loads. Winchester game loads, Winchester universal, Federal target loads, etc. All either 1oz shot or 3dram, and the benelli ran like a dream. Very quick response and limited (to me) muzzle rise. The only thing I got was a little benelli thumb when I forgot to keep my knuckle bent when loading shells.

Compare the shell release pin hole in the 2 pictures & you will notice I cut the whole receiver down .100 futher so you don't have to put your thumb in as far.

Thanks Benny - I am thinking from your comments I will leave it alone until I learn to shoot and load with it some more.

The carrier is being mailed off to c-rums for a weld-up in the morning.

I took it to the range today to bust some clays, and tried 4 different crappy light load birdshot loads. Winchester game loads, Winchester universal, Federal target loads, etc. All either 1oz shot or 3dram, and the benelli ran like a dream. Very quick response and limited (to me) muzzle rise. The only thing I got was a little benelli thumb when I forgot to keep my knuckle bent when loading shells.

That's very good to know.

Based on this thread and its responses, I'll make sure Andrew doesn't modify my own Benelli M1S90 any more than needed...