Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 IPSC Ontario Provincials

• 3 months later...

Can't say enough about the quality of the match the Ontario crews put on. If you want to attend this match, feel free to contact me and I will help you with the paperwork. Once you know what your doing, it isn't that hard to do.

• 1 month later...

Applications are up for the match. Thanks to Roy for his help and for putting me in touch with the right folks in Canada to get my paperwork done. They made it easy. I have it in hand for this match and Canadian Nationals. Looking forward to visiting Kingston again and meeting and shooting with all those north of the border!!!!!!!!!!

Mike,

Your welcome..........I did my paperwork this week for both match's and timed the CFO office. I told them they were on the clock and I got a fax at my office in 18 minutes which was a new record for them. Andre and Carrie are great folks to work with. Now with that being said, if you haven't done the paperwork before, don't expect it in 20 minutes like mine but it is a pretty painless and easy process.

Don't forget to stop at US Customs before you go accross and register the property (certificate of registration for property taken abroad...form 4457). Stop in the office first (don't just bring the gun). This is the form you need to have when you come back accross the border to the States. Trust me on this one.......get it done before you go. No, really.......get it done before you go accross the border. Are you noticing a trend here? Our first time accross we didn't (who knew?) and it got.....interesting to say the least. Ask the desk officer how he/she would like for you to proceed and go from there. Make sure the gun is in a locked hard plastic case. It must have a trigger lock or cable lock in/on the gun while in the case at all times while in Canada so make sure that is taken care of.

When you get to the Canadian Customs officer in the booth and they ask you if you have anything to declare, state that you have a firearm(s) and hand over your paperwork (passport, form 909 and ATT plus US 4457,match application and invitation from the MD). They will send you over to secondary for inspection/serial number verification. They normally put a tag on your windshield and will call over to let them know you have a firearm. Be nice and smile....they are used to clueless folks who shouldn't be brining a firearm over so ask the first officer if he would like to do the serial number verification first or should you go inside to finish up your ATT and form 909? You will have to pay the ATT in Canadian $$ so be prepared to go to the money exchange booth first (normally they have one on the premesis or extremely close). Inform the officer first about going there-they'll understand. Key point-don't sign the form 909 till you are told by the Canadian official who will sign the form and stamp it for you. Once that is done and you have paid for the ATT, your inspection will be done at your vehicle and over in about 2 minutes. Make sure the locked case is on top of your rangbag so you (or they....) don't have to go searching for it. Be prepared to turn over the keys for the locks to the officer. Some will know what they are doing, some won't. Just be nice and offer to assist them if they would like but don't just reach out. The officers at the Windsor Tunnel are so used to me now, it isn't a big deal. However, when we started it was entertaining to say the least. One more tip-drive the speed limits when you attend the match. I wouldn't want to have to deal with the OPD (Ontario Police Dept)and the whole firearm issue. They may be great to deal with but why take that chance? Give yourself plenty of time and take it easy........and don't get excited when you see the speed limit signs saying you can do 100.....it's in kilometers,not MPH.

Your toughest part might be coming home at the US border. Be prepared for US guys to not believe you that you were able to legally take your pistol(s) to Canada. You have to declare your guns to the officer in the booth. (again, passport, form 4457, 909, ATT and match app/invitation should be given to him). Normally that is all that it takes. They don't need the Canadian paperwork-only the form 4457 but it shows you were a good boy and did the correct paperwork for Canada. Now when I come back most of the time, many officers recognize me and ask about the match ect......They may ask you to go to secondary as well, so no big deal. Pretty much the same procudure as the Canadian Side. Be prepared for the US guys to be a little more aggressive if they come to your vehicle. I have had them try and jump in to search the vehicle so just be aware. And don't be the guy that gets caught bringing back some Cuban cigars for friends just because you can get them in Canada. I have seen this so many times I have lost count.

The match's should be a blast and I look forward to seeing you there.

• 2 weeks later...

As it already been mention registration for IPSC Ontario Provincials is open. More info can be found at http://ipsc-ont.org/2011/provincials/

Roy, thanks a lot for a most comprehensive write up on bringing firearms to Canada.

One last thing to note that in Canada it is illegal to own magazines that hold more then 10 rounds. So, all your magazines should be designed to or permanently locked for 10 rounds.

Edited by euxx

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got back to PA. Very well run match. Thanks to all those who who helped with this match. I will be back to Kingston for Nationals.

Are the results posted anywhere? I cannot access on the IPSC Ontario Site as the results are password projected.

Edited by mikegot38

The match was good, the staff was friendly and my squads scores were.............something. Oh, well. It was great to see so many friends again. It was a nice experiance and we have plenty of new story's to tell about our trip. Thanks to all in Kingston for puttin on this match. We will see you next month for the Canadian Nationals.

Roy

Still working on getting them posted for public viewing, but for now Mike you were 26th in Open at 60.14%

Thanks Pat. I appreciate it. Made lots of new friends and got to visit with old ones while not shooting.