Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New mini red dot worth considering.

Guys Marshall at Primary Arms (http://www.primaryarms.com/category.sc?categoryId=5) was good enough to let me t&e one of his new generation of Micro dots (Aimpoint T1 clone) sights before they were released.

Here is what I found.

8-29-10

I mounted the sight you sent me on my Larue Stealth in an off set mount. I took the micro that was on it and put it on my Benelli. The new sight you sent has a smaller sharper dot and it made more sense to me to put it on a rifle.

What I like.

The dot is very sharp and intense. (seems brighter than previous generation sights)

The adjustments were not nearly as course and sighting in was easy as cake.

Marhsall has a real winner with this new sight. As far as function (shooting) it seems every bit the equal of my T1.

Here are some groups I fired with it on my Larue at 50 yards during sight in.

group2primaryarms.jpg

PrimaryArmsmicrodot.jpg

Date 9-6-10

Took the micro out again today and compared it with a Aimpoint R1 and an older 2nd gen micro. The dot is as bright as the aimpoints much better than the earlier generation of your sight. It was a very sunny day today and the new sight was much brighter than the older model and equal to the aimpoint. You are making me want to replace my older blem models with this new generation. What is the price going to be on this new Gen.

I accidentally left the sight on one day and checked my rifle 8 days later and the sight was still on and working.

The biggest single improvement as I see it over older generations is the dot brightness. It can be seen even on the brightest days. On the older models they were harder to see on bright days.

The new sight also has much better adjustments. The clicks seem consistent and repeatable. I will try to post some pictures of some in the scope shots with the new generation micro vs my T1.

Laruedesc.jpg

I really like this new sight and I plan on purchasing 2 more. 1 for my new Noveske three gun rifle (in a larue off set mount as well.) and another for my AK or for my Spikes 22 LR steel rifle. I can't say enough good about this new generation from Marshall. A lot of good things have come together on this sight.

I am sure this new sight is not as tough as an Aimpoint but I believe its a good lower cost alternative. I also prefer it to the Fast Fire and it costs less than half of what the Fast Fire does. At $90 is hard to go wrong. I was skeptical of these sights at first since they are made in China but I have had good luck with them. This new model corrects all the things I did not like with the earlier generations. Applications for three gun would be as a side sight on an open rifle or as a primary sight on a pistol or shotgun in open or as a primary red dot on a limited rifle.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Which "generation" is the sight you currently have ??? There are so many listed on the web site.

Thanks

Newgenpic1.jpg

Newgenpic2.jpg

Newgenpic3.jpg

oldgenpic1.jpg

AimpointT1pic2.jpg

AimpointT11.jpg

Generation 6 7 and 8 have the same basics upgrades (brighter dot, better battery life and crisper adjustments) . The differences is Generation 6 is a removable base so you can use Aimpoint T1 mounts such as Larue, ADM and Daniel Defense. Generation 7 has a fixed base and the adjustment knob on top. This sight was made with AK rifles in mind. Generation 8 has a kill flash attached to the end.

Hope this helps. Generation 2 is the older model that is not as bright and has a shorter battery life. Stick with Generation 6 unless you have an AK.

Pat

I've tried a couple of other brands of Aimpoint clones on my 'fun guns', a Ruger MKII and a 9mm AR carbine. It seems silly to pay $600 for a red dot on a $300 gun, for recreation. I don't care if they don't have 10,000 hour battery life, or can't be frozen in arcitc ice for 50 years and still work. My life does NOT depend on these guns, so I see no need to spend oodles of money on the dots.

Anyway, the problem I've had is dot brightness. I used one all winter long (Oregon overcast), and loved it. Come spring and sunshine, I went back to the old (huge) tasco. I've always sold them for close to my cost, so I'm not really out much money.

However, I've been hesitant to try the newest generation of economy dots (like the Primary Arms and Vortex), simply because of the dot brightness. However, given this review, and a few others I've recently read, I just ordered a Primary Arms Gen 6. I think I'll try it on the Ruger first!

I wouldn't worry to much about how tough they are, people have been abusing them with no ill effects:

Other respectable forums have reports of them holding up on everything from slug shotguns to M1A's to SAWs.

BTW, I'm likely grabbing one of the Gen 6's myself.

Edited by Vlad

i have the version of this sold under the "Konus" name (I've also seen the same sight sold by SIG and Primary Arms, think they're all manufactured in peoples worker factory #17 in Pingliang). Mine has held up very well on a couple of AR's and currently my 5.5" buckmark. I'm not sure that I would take it into harm's way, but then again I don't go there for a living and so far the sight has always worked when it was supposed to, so no disappointments on the range.

BTW - I recently found a great deal on 2032 type batteries - 20 pieces, shipped, for $3.43. Apparently vendor is in hong kong, so it took about 2 weeks for the stuff to arrive but they did in fact show up and so far they've worked fine (have used them on this T1 clone and two other beater tascos on the kids 22's). link to vendor is here - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.751