Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bigmouth vs. Capewell

STIGUY

Bought a used STI on here that the previous owner had set up to be similisr to a Brazos Custom with a Bigmouth Magwell. Thinking of switching to a Capewell

Magwell. Would like to know from anyone who has one

and may have used a similar to what I got....how do they compare in the size of the opening? Is there another source other than SSI as they are apparently always backordered?

Have the Cape magwell on my Millenium 38 Super. Prefer the Cape magwell to the ICE - not sure on the Brazos - as the Cape is bevelled out to not disturb my hand position. My hand is big and gets pushed up too high with the ICE. Nice is you have a smaller hand. A negative to the magwell is they are thin near the pin area due to the bevel making it fragile to re-installation. Just have to be carefull on install not to hammer pin and break magwell.

Met Dave McGonigal recently and he showed me a larger or as he called it a super version of the magwell that my old Cape fit into. Not sure if its available.

I cant compare the two, but I really need to get my hands on a cape magwell. I have large hands, and the STI/ICE just arent cutting it. Anyone have a source w/ stock?

I got mine from Tony at Velocity Shooter.

I cant compare the two, but I really need to get my hands on a cape magwell. I have large hands, and the STI/ICE just arent cutting it. Anyone have a source w/ stock?

I got mine from Tony at Velocity Shooter.

Thanks. I'll have to get in touch with them since they dont list stock on their site. I appreciate the lead.

I was able to pick one up from a local shooter.. and if you have large hands like I do.. there is NO comparrison. I love the cape. It will take some getting used to, since the feel is different, and reloads are going to need to be practiced since the magwell is at a different angle, visually.

Edited by BCrane

If you have "BIG" hands, the magwells like the Dawson's ICE will actually push the bottom of your palm out. The Cape's curve is lower. Here's one I purchased from Patrick Kelly and his pic. I'm looking for another stainless one. Please PM me if anyone has one for sale.

cape2.jpg

• 3 years later...

I am the guy that machined all of the CAPE magwells for Dave McGonigal. If you deal with him, get your parts before you give him your money. I made the mistake of giving him the parts I made for him before he paid me. He owes me $19,000.00. The guy is a thief. Be warned.