Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip tape

fastmtnbiker33w

Does anyone know if any companies specifically make thick grip tape for the G17? If not specifically for it, who makes the thickest grip tape?

I'd like to make my grip a bit larger (without putting the gun over the production weight limit...so less than 2 oz. of tape) as I have really long fingers and any additional size would help. Yes, a large frame would give me a bit bigger grip, but I'm on the 9mm as a beginner competitor trying the sport on a budget. One day I'll be able to build up an STI 45 with a massive grip and run it in the open category.

Edited by fastmtnbiker33w

Does anyone know if any companies specifically make thick grip tape for the G17? If not specifically for it, who makes the thickest grip tape?

I'd like to make my grip a bit larger (without putting the gun over the production weight limit...so less than 2 oz. of tape) as I have really long fingers and any additional size would help. Yes, a large frame would give me a bit bigger grip, but I'm on the 9mm as a beginner competitor trying the sport on a budget. One day I'll be able to build up an STI 45 with a massive grip and run it in the open category.

This may sound goofy, but one guy I shoot with uses tennis racket wrap on his grip. He wraps the grip like a tennis racket and cuts a hole for the mag release etc. It increases the grip diameter by adding 1/8" all the way around.

This may sound goofy, but one guy I shoot with uses tennis racket wrap on his grip. He wraps the grip like a tennis racket and cuts a hole for the mag release etc. It increases the grip diameter by adding 1/8" all the way around.

Funny thing about the tennis racket tape......On my ride home from work today I remembered how I had to build up the grip on my tennis racket when I was a teen. I bought the biggest grip made but I couldn't double wrap it because the octagon shape got to rounded. I had to glue on strips of aluminum to keep the integrity of the octagon then apply the tape.

Tennis racket tape sounds kind of ghetto for a firearm. Especially since you'd have to apply electrical (or other) tape to keep it from unraveling. I'll keep it in mind if nobody has any info on thicker sandpaper style grip tape.

What about epoxy and some type of grit (sand, blasting media, etc)?

Or epoxy and multiple layers of grip tape?

I am not 100% certain but I think that adding epoxy would make it illegal for Production.

It could. But it wouldn't have to.

"Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling."

App. D4 21.4

Now, if he really piles it on and "changes the factory profile" then he'd probably get bumped.

For Production, and I'd have to look it up to see if it is still current, you are not allowed to change the profile of the grip. That would include building the grip up, in my opinion.

However, you could probably use the "Power Flex" tape and get a better purchase, without much that would be considered build up.

Tennis racket tape sounds kind of ghetto for a firearm. Especially since you'd have to apply electrical (or other) tape to keep it from unraveling. I'll keep it in mind if nobody has any info on thicker sandpaper style grip tape.

Hey, I live in the ghetto... :)

Hey, I live in the ghetto... :)

I live right just a few blocks up from the ghetto and commute by bicycle everyday through a dozen housing projects. I teach at a school that serves 22 housing projects. I can make ghetto jokes and not feel guilty about it. Especially since most are using the system as a hammock instead of a safety net.

What about epoxy and some type of grit (sand, blasting media, etc)?

Or epoxy and multiple layers of grip tape?

I am not 100% certain but I think that adding epoxy would make it illegal for Production.

It could. But it wouldn't have to.

"Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling."

App. D4 21.4

Now, if he really piles it on and "changes the factory profile" then he'd probably get bumped.

If I really piled it on and just made the entire thing fatter, would that be considered changing the profile? I would think that changing the profile would mean building up just one part of the grip....say the backstrap area only. Then the preportions get thrown off.

I still have to consider the added mass as well. I may just have to put as many layers on as possible, then practice more with that grip until I get use to it. Spend more time with it, stay away from my other guns until it becomes a part of me....at least until I can afford to start shooting/practicing with a major caliber and gun.

If I really piled it on and just made the entire thing fatter, would that be considered changing the profile?

Yes, clearly.

Alright. So adding beaucoup amounts of epoxy and grit = no go for Production.

Earlier tennis racket handle wrap was mentioned, that 1/8" all around could be added easily with it.

Would that be changing the factory profile?

Or is that different because it can be removed easily?

I like jessup skateboard tape. $6.00 for a whole boards worth, enough to redo my glock for years. Only downside is you have cut out your own patterns. No big deal really.

+ 1 if you put a base layer then add some contact cement to it, you can add a second layer pretty easily and so on and so on...

You might check out a office supply store, craft store...Hobby Lobby or something like that to see what they might have. I'm thinking sheet cork might work cut and glued/contact cement under sb/st tape.

FWIW

Richard

...if you put a base layer then add some contact cement to it, you can add a second layer pretty easily and so on and so on...

It only measures .030" thick, so if you are thinking of using it to "build up" the grip...you will have to make several wraps.

You CANNOT build up the grip in USPSA Production division.

You will be out into Open division.

To our Opening Poster... how about a few pictures showing your stance and grip (from various angles)? Maybe there are some suggestion we might be able to give beyond the equipment.

Maybe the op wants to shoot Limited 10 minor and just doesnt know it yet. LOL. Not being able to make your equipment work and stay legal may warrant a division change. YMMV thats just my two shiny copper pennies...

...if you put a base layer then add some contact cement to it, you can add a second layer pretty easily and so on and so on...

It only measures .030" thick, so if you are thinking of using it to "build up" the grip...you will have to make several wraps.

You CANNOT build up the grip in USPSA Production division.

You will be out into Open division.

To our Opening Poster... how about a few pictures showing your stance and grip (from various angles)? Maybe there are some suggestion we might be able to give beyond the equipment.

Wife's got the camera at work for a project. I will definitely get some pics up next week. My main problems are getting my finger comfortable on the trigger and having to reach back for the mag release. Does anyone make a glock trigger that sits further up in the trigger guard? That would solve one problem but would that put me out of production class?

Edited by fastmtnbiker33w

Almost any physical changes (measurable) to the outside of the gun will put you out of Production Division.

I don't know of anybody that makes a trigger face that is further forward.

Your best bet might be a grip sleeve..such as the one Hogue makes. That (by itself) is specifically legal. As such...a section of bicycle inner tube would be legal as well, I believe.