Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is XL650 Priming System Quick Change Kit Worth It?

Hi all,

I've had an XL 650 for a few months now. I've had great results using it to load all calibers that used small pistol primers.

Now I'm going to change out the primer parts to use large primers. I just saw a Priming System Quick Change kit listed for about $80.

Is this kit worth it?

Is it that much of a hassle to change out the individual parts?

Is it that much simpler to change out the whole assembly with the quick change kit?

Any and all input on how difficult or easy it is to change the primer system over is greatly appreciated.

Don

its not worth it , IMO. It takes about 1 minute to change the disk and tube on the upper assembly. it takes longer to wiggle the box wrench under the primer catch cup to remove the primer punch, and the quick change kit cant do anything about that.

The only way you will find out if changing the primer system from small to large is to do it yourself and decide if spending $80.00 is worth it. Let us know what you decide.

Pat

Yeah, but that will only tell me what the effort is without the kit. I'll still have no idea what the effort is with the kit. i.e. I won't know until I spend $80. Which is what I'm trying to avoid.

its not worth it , IMO. It takes about 1 minute to change the disk and tube on the upper assembly. it takes longer to wiggle the box wrench under the primer catch cup to remove the primer punch, and the quick change kit cant do anything about that.

So you're saying it just saves a couple of minutes per changeover.

I just got my XL650 recently and though dedicated to 9mm wanted to know what efffort it would take to switch it over to large.

I took the primer feeder apart while having the shell plate off to do the detent ball spring coil mod and installing the thrust bearing.

The previous poster is right, changing the wheel isn't an issue your gonna have it off anyways. It adds maybe 2 minutes at best, you still have to replace the primer seating punch assembly regardless.

Now on my SDB I have a complete large and small primer feeder assembly, that is a 2 minute total change and worth it IMO.

The only way you will find out if changing the primer system from small to large is to do it yourself and decide if spending $80.00 is worth it. Let us know what you decide.

Pat

Yeah, but that will only tell me what the effort is without the kit. I'll still have no idea what the effort is with the kit. i.e. I won't know until I spend $80. Which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Okay, so you strip your machine down to the point of a caliber change only (that's why you are changing primer sizes... say 45ACP to 9mm) then what is left to change for the primer size that you don't have to remove for the "Quick Change" kit? I'll tell you...1 button head screw, 1 "primer support shim"(clip), 1 wavy washer and the primer disc. Reverse the order you just did to install the other primer disc and you are at the point of what you get with the quick change kit. Oh yeah, you have to install the other primer tube in the primer feedbody housing. What you have to do takes about two minutes. Then you reassemble the machine from the point where you would have to after installing the "Quick Change" kit .What you have done is saved about two minutes. Is it worth $80.00?

I'm not trying to be a jerk with my explanations. My point was, and still is, that until you yourself see what is necessary to do the change you don't have any idea what is involved or whether the money you might spend is worth the effort you will save.

Take that $80 and buy another powder measure if you haven't already got one for all your conversions. That will save you more time than a primer quick change IMO.

Or better yet IMO, keep to one powder measure and get a Unique Tek micrometer powder drop dial for it, pocket the $30 you saved.

Thank you all for the input. I'm going to go through the manual tomorrow and then give it a go tomorrow night. It doesn't sound like its worth it for the "quick change" primer system. I've already got a separate tool head with powder drop and .45 dies, so that should be pretty quick.

Thanks again.

Don

I bought one to make the switch faster - I ordered it with the press. However, if $80 were important in the big scheme I wouldn't do it again. I do like having it as a "spare", and it does save about two minutes and a little risk of sending another ball bearing onto the floor. A minor issue at best.

It will take much longer to change all of the other parts, but it sill isn't very hard. The manual makes it seem harder than it is, at least to me.

The primer punch is a pain. If they would make the retaining ring a little smaller, it would be possible to get a socket on it. I smell a modification coming.

Edited by rodell