Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ok, I need some serious thinking - 9mm Major and FTE

Alan Adamson

Ok, not much more to report... He's off shooting it tonight at a small weekend night match. We'll see...

All that's really been done is that he polished the inside of the chamber with a polish wheel and some jewelers rouge.

I don't know if he'll shoot his or my ammo, guess we'll see.

I got to thinking today. He and the prior owner (the GM who had this shorty 9Major) both use a hornady sizing die. I use a dillon. He uses an FCD for crimp and I used to, but threw it away (quite literally) and replaced it with a Dillon taper (never looked back).

Could the reloading setup case this failure to extract issue, even if all the ammo passes the EGW and Wilson case gauge?

He's been loading a *really hot* load, mine, well, it's probably 170 PF in his gun (would be probably 175-178 in my 5" with no holes. I've got a hunch that the load is stretching the webbing of the case on some cases (he's using mixed brass altho we've seen this happen in a Win Brass too), and that may be why they are sticking... Another data point... after he fired one of the ones that stuck a few weeks ago, I took the case and tried to drop it in my chamber, it would go about 1/2 way in and then it would stick. Drop it in his and it would go in about 1/2-2/3's and stick.

I suppose we should grab a couple of the ones that run just fine, and a couple that run fine in my gun and do that same test with both guns... Just for kicks, it might tell us what it happening to the brass...

Alan

Once fired, cases are never going to drop back into the chamber they were just fired from. The explosion forms the case to the chamber, so it's going to be a tight fit.

Question is, after you've got one of the stuck cases out, can it be put in to the chamber (try to get it aligned with where it was before; look for marks from the extractor hook), rechambered with the weight of the slide/spring closing on it, then extracted? What about ones that don't cause the jam? Have you guys measured the various dimensions of "good" fired brass and "bad" fired brass?