Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet dimensions for different shapes and grains

Does anyone have a chart that shows lengths of handgun bullets

for different shaped heads and weights by cal., so i can adjust

my overall length so i wont over or under power bullet.

You would think the manuals would tell you sizes so you can use

different shaped bullets as they only give you a few choices.My

bullet supply may be wadcutters and they recommend round nose.

Any feed back would be helpfull, thanks

Nope, never seen anything like that at all and I don't think a chart would really work because there are too many variables involved. This one of the reasons why it's handy to have multiple reloading manuals/guides. I've found that the Loadbooks "One Caliber/One Book" is the most bang for the buck as far as raw data. All of the major bullet and powder manufacturer's data is in it. The thing to do is to use a bullet shape and weight that are as close to what you're going to be using, reduce the charge a bit, then work up until you get where you need/want to be as far as velocity. This is also why you absolutely need to have a chronograph. Lastly, as a general rule, you don't want to change the oal for pressure/velocity reasons...that's adjusted with different charge weights, and leave the OAL setting based on what works in the gun. R,

cartridge overall length, as noted by G-ManBart, is a somewhat variable factor. with respect to semi-auto pistols the length of the bullet nose can be the important factor related to reliable feeding and fitting in the magazine and chamber. a discussion of those factors can be found at the links below.

http://www.38super.net/Pages/Overall%20Length.html

http://www.38super.net/Pages/Bullet%20Design%20and%20Feeding%20Reliability.html