Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

question about chamfering and brass pilots

skorittnig

HI all,

I have read every thread (to my knowledge) about chamfering- and decided to purchase a 45 degree set in order to very lightly chamfer the cylinder holes on a 625. I purchased the corresponding brass pilots as well- and when I went to insert the pilot into the cylinder hole tonight it fit, however- it won't allow the chamfer bit to get close enough to the cylinder to remove any metal. Am I doing something wrong? This gun has is moon clip ready, I didn't know if the cylinder had been shortened enough to make the pilot non-functional?

Thanks,

shay

Very common scenario. Typically means your chambers are too tight, which is an epidemic problem on 625-2s and 625-8s. You'll need to ream the chambers to correct SAAMI spec, then your chamfering reamer will work just fine.

just to clarify Mike- the brass pilot goes in all the way (flush with the other end). My problem is that it won't quite make it far enough to let the chamfer bit touch the cylinder mouth. Should the end of the brass pilot be sticking out (protruding) past the end of the cylinder?

I just want to make sure I am using the pilot correctly I guess.

Thanks

Edited by skorittnig

I think it's "pilot error". ;)

I say that because I've seen it with a couple pilots (from Brownells) on a few cylinders of various size and vintage. I know Brownells sells two types (or did anyway) for the newer and older guns IIRC but it didn't seem to matter, neither worked unless turned down.

Edited by cas

I'm tellin' ya.....I see it all the time on the dang tight-chambered cylinders from 625-8s!

The pilot on the chamfering reamer won't fit in there until the chambers themselves have been reamed.

Next question......?

I'm tellin' ya.....I see it all the time on the dang tight-chambered cylinders from 625-8s!

The pilot on the chamfering reamer won't fit in there until the chambers themselves have been reamed.

Next question......?

I received my .38/.357 pilot today and it pushes all the way through (on my 686). I think Mike is spot on with his reaming suggestion.

Edited by skorittnig