Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

prescription shooting glasses...........

fastarget

I use WileyX. I have owned about 5 pairs of their prescription safety glasses and have been thrilled with the quality of the lens. You CAN buy direct from them, even though their website doesn't say so, you just need a current prescription to fax or email to them.

I have had so many b/c I wore them for work in a machine shop for several years and the would get beat up terribly after a while --- getting hit with debris, welding sparks, etc..... But they were always true to the prescription and tough.

Gose,

I have been looking at photochromic red lenses, since this is an RX, do you think these will work the best for pistol shooting, or should I look at something else? Augmenting red dots etc is not that important, I prefer black sights. tx

looks like the way to go, will call them for the rx lens I am going to try the lens instead of the insert, would just hate to throw away lenses if the Rx changes, but it will be clear and convenient..........

Depending on your insurance you might be able to get prescription lenses partly covered under your vision plan.

Gose,

I have been looking at photochromic red lenses, since this is an RX, do you think these will work the best for pistol shooting, or should I look at something else? Augmenting red dots etc is not that important, I prefer black sights. tx

I have one set of Polar 3FX Grey Laser and one set of Racing Red and they work great for me both with my iron sighted pistol and illuminated rifle scope (Meopta K-Dot).

looks like the way to go, will call them for the rx lens I am going to try the lens instead of the insert, would just hate to throw away lenses if the Rx changes, but it will be clear and convenient..........

Depending on your insurance you might be able to get prescription lenses partly covered under your vision plan.

Not anymore, not since we went to a health savings account ....... :rolleyes:

A buddy of mine wears Rudy Project Rydons with RX lenses, no inserts and absolutely loves them. He wears action brown for shooting and everyday use and seems to like it. When it comes to the quality of the lenses, nothing beats Rudy Project.

I'm using Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ and Half Jackets, with various tints. The G30 tint is probably the most versatile....I use it in everything but really dark and super bright. The first time you put on Oakley prescription lenses you literally have to blink a few times and get used to what you're seeing....much more than with normal prescription lenses. You can keep your head still and look all the way to the corners, and it's perfectly clear. They're really close to wearing contacts in how much you can see. My eye doc saw mine and got all jazzed about them, saying they're incredible lenses, just expensive.

For folks with military, LEO and maybe fire/rescue etc, you can go sign up for special pricing through USStandardissue.com The prices are a fraction of what retail is. It's really an awesome program, and Oakley does a lot for our troops, so I'm happy supporting them a little bit. R,

For me Rudy is the way to go. I've got the Magster Photochromic Red with clip in insert. Another thing that helped the aging eyes was to shoot Open. Place red dot on A, press, follow red dot to A, press. I love hearing, "2 Alpha, 2 Alpah."

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we decided to go with Rudys, so a couple of Rydons and Rx insert are on the way, and they sent them overnight .....We almost went with Revision, almost, but there was hardly any input regarding Revision and considerable experience with Rudys , so Rudys won out................

Thank you all for your input.

• 1 month later...

Might suggest you check out the Gargoyles website, just google it and go to it; they developed some of the best glasses on the market in the 80's and are back in the game real strong; they have a Shooting Team now and are sponsoring numerous major matches; check out these models: Tractions, Strikers, Intervals and their Aviator style, don't remember the name of the aviator style off the top of my head. their new Ballistic Defense Lenses are unbeatable in quality and pricing.

I'm using Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ and Half Jackets, with various tints. The G30 tint is probably the most versatile....I use it in everything but really dark and super bright. The first time you put on Oakley prescription lenses you literally have to blink a few times and get used to what you're seeing....much more than with normal prescription lenses. You can keep your head still and look all the way to the corners, and it's perfectly clear. They're really close to wearing contacts in how much you can see. My eye doc saw mine and got all jazzed about them, saying they're incredible lenses, just expensive.

For folks with military, LEO and maybe fire/rescue etc, you can go sign up for special pricing through USStandardissue.com The prices are a fraction of what retail is. It's really an awesome program, and Oakley does a lot for our troops, so I'm happy supporting them a little bit. R,

+1 I'm also using a pair Juliet with Polarized/prescription lenses...can't beat Oakley and yes they are way too expensive but I only have one set of eye so it's not so bad :)

I have 3 ESS Ice glasses (clear, smoke, yellow). All 3 have the nose piece that accepts the Rx insert. I have 2 Rx inserts. One insert has my distance prescription for open with a very small bifocal bottom that has my reading prescription. The other insert has an upside-down bifocal for iron sights, with a "compromise" grind that makes the front sight fairly clear but still allows me to kind-of see the target. I'm very happy with them.