Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading dies for 38 Short Colt

GlockCanMan

Lee makes 38 Short Colt sets, so does RCBS I believe, but I think most folks are using a mix of 38 Special and 9 mm Lugar dies.

I use 38 Special decapper and sizer, and 9 mm belling, seating and taper crimp dies. I'm using moly-coated 158 grn 358 cal bullets, so I can only use a taper crimp. A roll crimp would cut thhe moly coating. Taper crimps don't wear out the case mouth as fast either.

Westczek

Lee's 38 spl die to size the case. Which seater depends on your bullet. If using jacketed and want a taper crimp 9mm's are the way to go, If cast and need a roll crimp into a grove 38 Colt is the proper die.

Boats

Hi:

I've been using a taper crimp on everything I reload. Both jacketed lead and copper plated.

45, 38 Super, 40 S&W, 9 MM, 38 Special and 357.

The taper crimp I feel is easier to reload using speed loaders or moon clips.

It doesn't have the big roll that you mist get buy.

My 2 cents.

Goerge

Edited by GMM50

• 2 weeks later...

I want to thank you for this post, I've been cutting .41 Mag brass down real short to use in my milled for moonclip S&W 57, and could not get a crimp after a certain lenght. After reading this post, I had the idea to use .41 Action Express crimp die as it would be same diameter, but much shorter. Thanks for such a great forum and all the info it contains.

My set-up for .38Short-Colt, (in Dillon XL650), is:

- Resizer: RCBS 38/357

- Powder funnel: 9 mm.(Dillon)

- Seater: RCBS 9mm. or 38/357 it's the same

- Taper Crimp: RCBS 9mm. (sometimes Dillon .38super)

- Factory Crimp die Lee: 9 mm.

work fine for me !

I have Lee's .38 Short Colt die set. It is a combination of a 38 Super die set and a 38 Special/.357 mag set.

Resizer/Decapper is marked .38/.357 F8

Powder through Expander is unmarked

Seating/Crimping is markred .38 Auto E8

It is a taper crimp seating die.

The brass I used was R-P .38 Special cut to Short Colt Length and loaded with 9mm data. The bullets (125 grain Lead at minor PF) didn't move in the case upon firing and I don't think a roll crimp is necessary in this application.