Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SX2 Practical last shell hangup

A6Gator

I have an SX2 Practical Mk I(pretty much identical to the FN SLP) that occasionally hangs up on the last round out of the tube. It will come out of the tube and seems to hang up on the lift and the lift sticks in the down position and doesn't come up for the bolt to close on. The bolt stays locked back and if I push the shell forward it seems to lift and go back in battery. It only happens on the last round. I've been shooting Estate 1 1/8 oz, 3 dram loads w/the light piston. Hasn't been a problem w/low recoil slugs, although I don't shoot as many slugs as birdshot.

Have you tried a new magazine tube spring? How many rounds on the original spring?

Def. magazine spring. 99% probability...when I first installed my extension tube, I bought a couple of extra springs from nordic and cut one down to failure length. The malfunction was exactly the one you are describing.

Edited by GorillaTactical

Thanks, guys. I checked the follower and it wasn't dinged up and I cleaned the tube out (it wasn't that nasty...). I appreciate the vector.

Post range report: Got to the range this morning. I thought it wasn't THAT dirty, but apparently the schmegma in the tube was enough to slow things down. Cleaned the tube, cleaned the spring, cleaned the follower (and shot it w/some silicone spray lube to make sure it wasn't "sticky" then made sure it was wiped clean/dry). Went through 9 full tubes w/out a hangup. We'll see how it works under match pressure. I have an extra magazine spring on order, so if it happens next time, I'll be ready to swap it out. Feeling good about the gun, now I need to work on reloads....

Edited by A6Gator