Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol Caliber Carbines at SC?

gng4life

Hello All,

I have been asked quite a bit lately about allowing pistol caliber carbines in Steel Challenge matches. We do allow rimfire rifles and since they are pistol calibers, I don't believe there is any drawback to it. We use the thicker GT targets so they do say carbines are okay but I wanted to find out if other clubs allow it. If not, why? Thanks for any information...

We encourage it at our steel matches, the cowboy guys come out and play with their lever guns, anything pistol caliber. The kids love it with the 10-22's and AR's. My Daughter likes shooting steel with my AR in .40.

• 4 months later...

Hello All,

I have been asked quite a bit lately about allowing pistol caliber carbines in Steel Challenge matches. We do allow rimfire rifles and since they are pistol calibers, I don't believe there is any drawback to it. We use the thicker GT targets so they do say carbines are okay but I wanted to find out if other clubs allow it. If not, why? Thanks for any information...

The York IWLA has that class in their SC events up here (3 times a year)including the PA State Championship in July that attracts a top field. However right now all the top finishers are shooting rimfires, mostly some kind of tactical 22 or a tactical conversion of either a 22 target rifle (10/22 or 597) or an AR. I doubt anyone shooting a CF pistol caliber carbine would be able to shoot well enough to place high. At least it would be difficult.