Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

28 ga. powder?

rexican

Do any of y'all load 28 ga? If so, what is your powder of choice?

I will be dove hunting in south TX in a couple of weeks and was toying with the idea of loading up some 28 ga. with titegroup. I have a little side by side CZ that I absolutely love, and would rather not pay $10 a box for ammo again. I already have all the components necessary, I just need to set up another loader.

As you go tot he smaller guages (and bore for the 410) the powders you use get slower and slower. For 28 ga. you need to use powders with a burn rate like HS6. You have to go even slower for the .410 bore and use slow burning magnum pistol powerds like Win 296. Fast burners like TG can only be used for 12 ga.

Unless you have some specific load data for titegroup then I suggest you look up some data and buy the correct powder. Since you are willing to reload for it you might as well go ahead and get the correct powder also. I am a .410 shooter and getting to the bottom of a 8lb (metal) can of Win 296 and will need to buy more soon.

Neal in AZ

thanks for the quick replies, and your info on TiteGroup. My father had mentioned TG earlier for the 28; I'll relay your info to him and pull out the reloading books later.

I do have a Hornady 366, but I believe I have all the necessary parts for the conversion... I just have to do some digging in the garage this weekend. I think I have an old Texan reloader for smaller bore as well, either 410 or 28. It's high time I inventoried all my powder anyways, and probably to pick up some HS-6 if I don't have any universal or sr4756

I just need to set up another loader.

I don’t know what loader you are currently using but if it happens to be a Hornady 366 I have a 28 ga conversion I don’t use anymore. Never loaded it with TG though.

Turns out I don't have the conversion... PM inbound

Ohh, Unique... I do have plenty of that. I'll try some 3/4 oz loads with Unique and some with 800x later today if I can get one of these old Texans up and running. I'm surrounded by a mountain of parts with my dad and doing my best "adapter man" impersonation :blush:

I'll also try out some Longshot this week if my local store has it in stock. Thanks everyone!