Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any drills to reduce overgripping with strong hand?

gotigers

I am shooting an M&P 9 Pro with the large palm swell. I was shooting off a bag saturday and noticed my thumb near my palm on my strong hand was cramping. Then, yesterday, at the action pistol range practicing i noticed i was still gripping hard when i pulled the trigger. Both days i was shooting very low. I tried the other palm swells, but they are just to small for my hand. I am aware of M&P pros shooting low with 115gr and the POA/POI with the F/O front sight. That is another matter.

Does anyone know of any drills that may help me stop or reduce overgripping?

Thanks

Edited by gotigers

as i said in my original post:, "I am aware of some M&P pros shooting low with 115gr and the POA/POI with the F/O front sight. That is another matter." I shot this gun off a bag a couple of times, several hundred rounds. The pistol is shooting POI/POA. The low shooting is me. The cramping thumb muscle plus my shooting buddy and i noticed an obvious overgrip on some shots right as i pull the trigger. I am positive it is an overgrip issue. I need to train to stop doing it. I don't know any drills that may help. So, i am looking for any drills that may help with this.

Try shooting groups strong hand only. Super slow fire. Be aware of what each finger is doing. Make sure only the trigger finger is applying pressure to the gun. Yes, it's bullseye, but it works. You're training the strong hand to only hold the gun enough to manipulate the trigger. Grip strength comes from your support hand.

Edited by Steve J