Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 SuperComp Major Recipe

Star4Ever

Hi Guys:

I could use your assistance and thoughts on where to begin load development for a Brazos BCG Pro Sx in .38 SuperComp. (commander barrel with popple holes and comp)

I have in stock about 4K of Zero 125g FMJs and Star .38 SuperComp brass (new). So I would like to use these bullets if at all possible although

this means driving the bullets at about 1300 Fps.

To make Major Open I need to be at or above a 160 power factor. bullet weigh X speed (FPS) all over 1000.

So I need to find a good powder and charge to start with for load development.

As far as powders goes, I would like a clean burning powder that meters well in a Dillon / Star Universal.

These reloaders use sliding charge bars with adjustable holes.

All ears on where to start.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys:

I could use your assistance and thoughts on where to begin load development for a Brazos BCG Pro Sx in .38 SuperComp. (commander barrel with popple holes and comp)

I have in stock about 4K of Zero 125g FMJs and Star .38 SuperComp brass (new). So I would like to use these bullets if at all possible although

this means driving the bullets at about 1300 Fps.

To make Major Open I need to be at or above a 160 power factor. bullet weigh X speed (FPS) all over 1000.

So I need to find a good powder and charge to start with for load development.

As far as powders goes, I would like a clean burning powder that meters well in a Dillon / Star Universal.

These reloaders use sliding charge bars with adjustable holes.

All ears on where to start.

Look in the sub forum for 9mm/38 here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=72

Tons of info for you there. And note that PF for major is 165 in USPSA, not 160, and 160 for IPSC open, and to be sure that you aren't gonna go minor, your loads should actually be somewhere around 172PF for USPSA and 168PF for IPSC open. Once you use up those FMJ's, I suggest moving to a JHP, as the base has no exposed lead, and you won't have to deal with the comp cleaning so much (not to mention the smoke!).

Jeff Maass's page on the web has tons of info for you as well.

http://www.k8nd.com/ipscload.htm

Also check out this web page about 38 supers...

http://38super.net/

Edited by GrumpyOne

My Open load for my Dawson minigun no poplel holes:

Zero 125 gr., actually I think they may be124.5 gr.

9 gr. 4756

WSP primers

1.235 OAL

At the 2008 Gator Gator the Chrono was 1425 fps.

At the 2009 Gator Classic the Chrono was 1440 fps.

4756 can produce different results from lot to lot, so test accordingly.

Are you shooting IPSC or USPSA?

G-Man,

Since it has poppel holes and a comp, my gues would be USPSA. :-)

And he's in Connecticut....

There are some IPSC matches here in the U.S....not many, but some. R,

Some? How about one? There may be some LV II or lower matches, but they aren't listed.

Looking at the IPSC website, it shows only one IPSC pistol match (LV III or higher) for this year, in Columbia, SC, on 10/1/10 - 10/2/10 (and there were none before this, I checked the IPSC match results for the entire world). And the Pan American Shotgun Championship that was held on 7/28/10. I don't think he was talking about the Shotgun Championship, which is over...And the other is...

The US IPSC Nationals will be held at Mid-Carolina Rifle Club near

Columbia SC on October 1 - 2, 2010. This will be a Level III IPSC Match,

and will serve as a Qualifier match to select the US teams for the 2011

IPSC World Shoot XVI in Greece.

Which if he is looking for loads for this match, well, he's a bit behind....

Some? How about one? There may be some LV II or lower matches, but they aren't listed.

Looking at the IPSC website, it shows only one IPSC pistol match (LV III or higher) for this year, in Columbia, SC, on 10/1/10 - 10/2/10 (and there were none before this, I checked the IPSC match results for the entire world). And the Pan American Shotgun Championship that was held on 7/28/10. I don't think he was talking about the Shotgun Championship, which is over...And the other is...

Level III matches are sort of the exception even in USPSA. Maybe he travels? That country just a bit north of us falls under IPSC rules too. We get some shooters here in MI that go to Canada regularly. ;) Point being, it's a reasonable question since he used the IPSC power factor. R,

Level III matches are sort of the exception even in USPSA. Maybe he travels? That country just a bit north of us falls under IPSC rules too. We get some shooters here in MI that go to Canada regularly. ;) Point being, it's a reasonable question since he used the IPSC power factor. R,

No forth coming IPSC matches in the Great White North either (LV III or higher, that is). Or it is also a reasonable question that maybe he has heard IPSC all his life and looked up the IPSC power factor, not knowing about USPSA? <_<

No forth coming IPSC matches in the Great White North either (LV III or higher, that is). Or it is also a reasonable question that maybe he has heard IPSC all his life and looked up the IPSC power factor, not knowing about USPSA? <_<

Any matches in Canada are going to be IPSC, rather than USPSA, so even a local match would qualify. I asked because either is possible, and he certainly may not know the difference :)

Hi Guys:

I am sitting hear at halftime with the Giants 3 pts behind and smiling greatly at your wondering about IPSC or USPSA.

Frankly, there are pretty much no matches of either in Open here in Connecticut as far as I know.

But being new to the sport I am pretty much un-aware of the available matches.

Needless to say I have never taken part in an Open match, thus the posting here in Beginners.....

thanks for you help and pointers so far... much appreciated.... back to the game...

Hi Guys:

I am sitting hear at halftime with the Giants 3 pts behind and smiling greatly at your wondering about IPSC or USPSA.

Frankly, there are pretty much no matches of either in Open here in Connecticut as far as I know.

Needless to say I have never taken part in an Open match, thus the posting here in Beginners.....

thanks for you help and pointers so far... much appreciated.... back to the game...

So, which is it? IPSC or USPSA? Don't leave us hanging here!

Any matches in Canada are going to be IPSC, rather than USPSA, so even a local match would qualify. I asked because either is possible, and he certainly may not know the difference :)

I'm just chain yanking, Bart. Not happy about being out of the country and not being able to shoot...Of course, you are right... :cheers:

USPSA matches in CT...

WESTFIELD PRACTICAL SHOOTERS - NE17

Contact Info

Steve Ouellette

Vernon, CT 06066

Home: (860) 966-7787

Work: (860) 836-6321

Email: so1911@comcast.net

They haven't updated their website in a few years (Like 10 years!). I don't know if they are still a viable club...

Or try this link...

http://www.uspsa7.org/

Bob Brazos recomends only IMR-4756 in his guns for major. Give him a call.

Bo Londrigan of Brazos Custom built me a Pro Sx w/poppel holes. He said to use Winchester small rifle primers, a 125 grain Zero JHP, 1.235 OAL and 10.5 grains of N105 in a .38 Super. For .38 Super Comp he says to shoot at 10.0 of N105 and go up from there as needed with the chrono.

Hi Guys:

So, which is it? IPSC or USPSA? Don't leave us hanging here!

Oh I'm Sorry GrumpOne... USPSA.

When I was searching on Google for Major Load I ran into the IPSC page where 160 power factor was listed for Open.

The major USPSA matches are in Mass from what I have heard.

To be frank, at first I just want to get the pistol running well with an initial load and then fine tune it.

I only have shot an open pistol once and it was totally amazing. (38 Super STI) That is what got me

jazzed on the open gun. Initially it will be used for practice and plate shooting until I get initiated

into USPSA meets as a raw beginner.

I will give Bob Londrigan a call to get his advice regarding the loads for sure. thanks for that advice.

Right now all I have to wait for the cases to arrive (found some .38 Supercomp on Midway but they were ONLY

available in the 100 count box. The 500 and 1000 count boxes were not in stock. So I got myself a few

hundred for starters and they are enroute

I have secured a .223 shell plate for my Star Reloader as well as having some dies turned down and rethreaded

to fit the Star. These will be carbide dies. But i will do load development on a CH-4D H press and then move

the recipe over to a progressive.

One question for you all...

Do you use the taper crimp die as the last die (after the seater) on .38 SuperComp?

Or do you seat and crimp at the same station in one die?

Are you taper crimping just enough to remove the mouth bell or are you actually going beyond that and

compressing the mouth of the case?

In that regard... what is the OD diameter I should set up to achieve just at the case mouth?

There is not much (ZERO) written about the SuperComp in the reloading manuals.

Thanks

Art

Do you use the taper crimp die as the last die (after the seater) on .38 SuperComp?

Or do you seat and crimp at the same station in one die?

Are you taper crimping just enough to remove the mouth bell or are you actually going beyond that and

compressing the mouth of the case?

In that regard... what is the OD diameter I should set up to achieve just at the case mouth?

There is not much (ZERO) written about the SuperComp in the reloading manuals.

Thanks

Art

Yes, crimp after seating. Just remove the bell. .378" or so seems to work nicely with Starline brass.

You can use VV data for .38 Super Lapua, but most Major loads are off pretty much everybody's charts. R,