Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alliant Bullseye

Civil.tech

In the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading, 6th Edition, the maximum load of Bullseye is 7.0 gr using a 185 gr. bullet(p. 828).

I have loaded the following components accordingly:

Starline +P brass - New

CCI 300 or Wolfe Large Pistol primers

Alliant Bullseye Powder - 7.0 gr.

Rainier 185 gr Plated Hollow Point

C.O.L. 1.230"

Chronographed speed of 1010 fps from a 3.5" barrelled Glock 30SF

The load shows no signs of excessive pressure. However, several other sources of loading data indicates a maximum charge of Bullseye to be significantly less with bullets weighing 185 gr.

Is the load safe? Should I disassemble the remaining rounds of ammo and reduce the charge?

In the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading, 6th Edition, the maximum load of Bullseye is 7.0 gr using a 185 gr. bullet(p. 828).

Starline +P brass - New

C.O.L. 1.230"

The load shows no signs of excessive pressure. However, several other sources of loading data indicates a maximum charge of Bullseye to be significantly less with bullets weighing 185 gr.

Is the load safe? Should I disassemble the remaining rounds of ammo and reduce the charge?

If the manual says it is safe, then it probably is. I just did a bit of searching on the web, turned up nothing in the load range you have, but i did find one recipe for 6.0 grains for a 230FMJ. Also, in your manual, the 185 grain bullet, is it a jacketed bullet or lead? If it's jacketed, then you are a bit hot. Load plated to lead recipes.

But my real question is, why so hot? That's got to be punishing in that G30....

Edited by GrumpyOne

Starline +P brass - New

C.O.L. 1.230"

If the manual says it is safe, then it probably is. I just did a bit of searching on the web, turned up nothing in the load range you have, but i did find one recipe for 6.0 grains for a 230FMJ. Also, in your manual, the 185 grain bullet, is it a jacketed bullet or lead? If it's jacketed, then you are a bit hot. Load plated to lead recipes.

But my real question is, why so hot? That's got to be punishing in that G30....

I wanted a load that approximated the load carried for self-defense: CCI 185 gr. Gold Dots with an advertised velocity of 1050 fps. However, I know that reduced loads are much more pleasant to shoot.

I just looked at the Hornady manual last night for the 185gr XTP with a max of 7gr Bullseye, and that load is for a jacked hollow point, not plated. From the Rainier site "We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data. If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend reducing maximum charge by 10%. A roll or taper crimp may be used with our bullets; do not over crimp." So, reduce the load by 10% and you should be good.

• 5 weeks later...