Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Factory Ammo

A lot will depend on what I hear on Mnday when I call AA&A. If there isn't a reliiable commercial source of Major ammo, we'll adjust the spring & comp choices to run minor and that's what I'll do.

I really feel comfortable with the M&P platform ergonomics and since it's about to become my primary ccw, I want to stay with it. I started with the competative shooting to improve my gun handling skills and I am focused on the consistency of working with the same platform. I just have to focus on the A zone and have fun.

(A different M&P, a 9c for ccw).

Edited by 70116

This might actually be a case to shoot a .40 Open gun. WWB at the WallyWorld and shoot the match...

Great suggestion, unless he already has the 9L.

I do already have the 9L and most of the accessories that are needed.

What's funny is that I had posted the following about a .40 in the M&P forum in mid-August and was strongly discouraged, which is why I pursued the 9L.

My MP Room Post

-----------------------------

I started thinking about an 'affordable' M&P Race Gun and found that the threads on the forum were leaning towards using a 9L in 9mm Major with a Storm Lake threaded barrel and a compensator. A number of optics have also been mentioned.

The advent of the 40 Pro seems to present an easier starting point. The gun is built for the ammunition needed to shoot major and I guess one could use a standard barrel to start. A Storm Lake comp or threaded barrel with a comp added and optics would seem to be all you'd need. The Leupold Deltapoint seems to provide some easy mounting options as well. I'd like to have BUIS but since this would strictly be a Race Gun with no intentions of carry, that wouldn't be mandatory.

Now the questions. Have I oversimplified this? Would a Storm Lake comped barrel be OK or would it be better to use a threaded barrel with a separate comp with more ports? Please tell me what I'm missing.

I think that with the necessary trigger work included, this is an under $2000 project which wouldn't be bad for a competitive Open Gun.

-----------------------------

I spoke with AA&A today and found, as others have reported, that they are unable to obtain brass for the 9mm Major loads.

I spoke with the person who's building my gun and we are right at the point of being able to switch to a 9mm Minor and Steel format which is what we've decided to do. The change shouldn't slow the project down although it will probably require some additional work.

Come on guys, get together and find him some ammo. Someone has got to be producing some major 9 somewhere!

Give these guys a call, maybe they can help or point you in the right direction...

http://www.combatmasters.ca/Ammo_brass.html

I'll give them a call but I don't know what help they'l b able to provide since they're in Canada. They don't list a 9mm Major load in their product list either. It really does seem that there's no commercial 9mm Major ammo. Really not that big a deal. I'm doing this for the fun and I'm certain that I'll have a lot of that shooting minor. The thing I love about competitive shooting it that I'm my own main competitor and that I can be friends with and get help from the other shooters. I may not score as well against them but I know I'll see improvement in my own scores.

• 4 weeks later...

This might actually be a case to shoot a .40 Open gun. WWB at the WallyWorld and shoot the match...

I got really tired of WWB from Wally World, in my Production gun. Shooting major and being scored minor really blows. :angry2:

I just ordered some minor .40 from Atlanta Arms & Ammo. Expecting it Friday. :D

(I know this has nothing to do with open guns. I just couldn't resist chiming in there.)

• 2 weeks later...

Posted in another thread, but the buy in for custom stamp brass is 100,000 pieces plus $750 for the custom tooling charge. Minimum buy in comes a tad over $10,000. I started looking into it, but can't afford at this point as my business isn't that big yet. I can see why AAA hasn't loaded any for some time. I don't blame them one bit.