Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will a S16 use STI mags?

kevinj308

Thinking about an S16 Ltd. and wondering what the options are for parts. I realize it uses mostly 1911 parts, except for the extractor, but didn't know about the mags. Can you use other peoples tubes, like STI?

Kevin

when I started in 06 I had a para and it would run fine using STI mags. Things might have changed since then so you would just have to try. Usually though the para mags would hold more due to being more squared at the top and less tapered. I would start with a 22 + 1 para mag and reload to the STI mags.

The only advantage to using STI mags over Para mags is the slimmer top possibly making it easier to reload,but with practice you can be just as fast with Para mags reloading. I like Para mags because you can get 21-22 rounds of .40 in the mag with just a Dawson mag extension,no need to spend $$$ to have it tuned like STI mags. :cheers:

I have tried STI mags in my PARA, but if the mag gets pushed up into the reciever the gun may not cycle. Looking at a STI for PARA,a PARA and a STI mag side by side the top of the cut are at the same level, but on the STI the bottom of the cut is lower. Sometimes there can be a problem if the mag is installed with the slide locked back, it can hang up when the slide is released.

I have worked with magazines for para for some time and when you use a sti mag for sti it will sit about .010 lower in para than sti and will not feed reliably. The new sv mags might work because the notch is higher and smaller. You would have to get one and see if it will work with some work on mag catch hole.