Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Storm Lake Barrel question

strangedays

Hello,

I purchased a Storm Lake 4.95" two port barrel for my .40 M&P and well I took it to a gunsmith in town who said he builds custom handguns and had him fit the barrel to my gun. He took what looks to be too much from the ramp and well it loads the rounds to high up (Too sharp of an angle into the chamber) causing them to jam. I also noticed the chamber is much tighter than my stock barrel. Stock barrel is showing 0.431" and the storm lake is showing o.420" I know that storm lake won't take anything that has been modified back and now I am thinking the gun smith screwed up and won't admit to his fault just saying he didn't like the barrel.

The chamber is tight enough to the point I can only get some factory ammo to fit while others jam tightly into the chamber. What should I do? If its the gunsmith then he cost me $200 between the barrel and his costs. Any input would be great!

I will try to get some pics up here soon but my camera is freaking out.

Thanks

I thought the Storm Lake barrels were drop in for the M&P.

When I purchased this it said semi-drop in and to have a gunsmith fit to right size before shooting.

I see their web site sais now to drop in and see if it works if not then take to gunsmith.

Worse thing is when you pay for a service by a gunsmith you don't expect them to butcher your item.

The only thing I was wondering is if Storm lake made the chamber too tight?

Since you are already invested into your gunsmith, you have the right and he has the obligation to work on figuring out the problem. Take it over to him with 50 rounds of your bullets to have him test fire and function test. Tell him what has been malfunctioning. He can't make a career out of it, but at least he could take another look at it.

One thing to mention to him is the tightness of the barrel. If the stock barrel is .431 and the SL barrel is .420 then you can probably run a finish chamber reamer into it to check the chamber dimensions. For ultimate accuracy, a super tight chamber is desirable and that is why aftermarket barrel makers like to leave extra material on the barrel. But that will correspondingly require meticulous reloading. It sounds like that is not what you are after. So opening up the chamber for reliability would be an acceptable trade-off.

From the fuzzy pictures, the barrel did not look hacked-up. So keep working at it.