Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Porting A .357 Revolver Barrel?

pmd

Time to make an Open S&W 627....

The barrel has been ordered from Clark - s.s.slabside barrel.

and I have been looking at porting options and no two are the same.

Any thoughts on how to properly port a 6" barrel?

I have seen some ports at the ends of the barrel, some midway, some large holes some small holes and some tapered holes of varying sizes. Holes drilled straight and holes drilled at angles. Most holes on top - some on the sides....Yes i am confused...

What works for you?

Thanks!

PMD

Hmmm.... I never though a 6" barrel wheelgun would need porting. Mine don't. As to how to port a barrel? Well, that's a good question. I bought an aftermarket barrel for a comp gun and ported it with slots like I had seen done to similar barrels. reduction in muzzle flip was tiny, increase in noise, flash, and upwardly directed garbage which tended to fall on my head was massive. Said barrel now has permanent residence in the closet.

My personal opinion is porting on .357's is useful for snubby defense guns because the muzzle rise would be unmanageable and make the gun pretty hard to shoot rapidly. Long barreled guns, I am not sure it is worth the trouble.

My personal opinion is porting on .357's is useful for snubby defense guns because the muzzle rise would be unmanageable and make the gun pretty hard to shoot rapidly.

True. I can tell you from personal experience that it's NOT pleasant to shoot a snubby, ported .357 with full house loads from the retention position.

I did it ONCE. The blast literally displaced both of my contact lenses! :lol:

Hey pmd:

If you don't have the bbl which is configured for the add on comp, you might consider having it mag-na-ported. I had them do a 6" 686 for me (quad trapezoids).

Was going to shoot it at second chance. Oh well.

Cheers,

Norm

The ports are very effective.

First of all, you need to decide what you want to shoot with the bbl. Pins, steel, ICORE, etc? This will help decide what type of comp will be effective for you and your shooting style. Some guys like short bbls with 3 port comps, some like short bbls with 4 hybrid type holes, or a combo. My two open revos, one 8shot SW and a 6shot 25-2 has 4 small hybrid type ports and are effective. I would also consider getting a slightly undersized bbl for accuracy as well, mine is .3565 and is a tack driver, even with 38 short colt loads. I also recommend someone with EDM or a mill setup do the holes. Good luck and I will also point you towards Mark at Pinnacle-guns.com for advice, as he does these guns all the time. ;) DougC

First of all, you need to decide what you want to shoot with the bbl. Pins, steel, ICORE, etc? ;) DougC

DougC,

I'll be shooting mostly steel - 5.4Unique, #100 Fed primers, Long Colt brass and MG125 cmj's.

I'll also be shooting pins on occasion using 6.7Bluedot, #100 Fed primers, 38spl brass and 230 lead logs.

Thanks for everyones input...

PMD, My gun has a 6in Douglas blank that was slab sided with a small underlug fit to it to go around the ejector rod. I take it off when I shoot steel but put it back on for pins, extra weight helps I think. If you are shooting a majority of steel matches short and light might work better, but like most things you might have to compromise. Good Luck, DougC