Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trojan hammer fell to half-cock during practice today

BayouSlide

My new to me 9mm Trojan fell once to half-cock while I was running some practice drills today. First time that's happened in around 2500 rounds I've put through the pistol. Pistol probably has about 3500 rounds at this point.

As near I remember, I was drawing and putting two shots on paper when the pistol failed to fire on the second shot when I pulled the trigger. I looked and saw the hammer at half cock. Ran another four magazines, including two with 10 shot strings in rapid fire and no further problem.

The previous owner said the trigger had been lightly massaged by a member of this board and it has run like a top until now. The trigger runs about 2 lbs. 11 oz. on my Lyman gauge.

Still a 1911 newbie here, so appreciate some guidance about what steps I should take next.

:cheers:

Curtis

Edited: 'cause I hate tipos typos!

Edited by BayouSlide

Over travel screw needs to be backed out ?

Should I wait to see whether it occurs again or go ahead and back it out 1/16 of a turn now?

Curtis

Sorry, got it backwards. The screw needs to go in some. The trigger bow could be pushing the sear not allowing the hammer to hold when the slide cycles.

Or of course it could be a hammer/sear issue.

Edited by DWFAN

Over travel screw needs to be backed out ?

Should I wait to see whether it occurs again or go ahead and back it out 1/16 of a turn now?

Curtis

Sorry, got it backwards. The screw needs to go in some. The trigger bow could be pushing the sear not allowing the hammer to hold when the slide cycles.

Or of course it could be a hammer/sear issue.

Would be easy to adjust it in 1/16 turn as a precaution. The trigger has probably broken in fully now and could need a slight adjustment. This will also decrease the overtravel slightly, correct?

Curtis

Does the trigger pull still read 2 lbs, 11 oz. on your Lyman gauge?

Maybe a slight adjustment of the sear spring is in order.

Yup, checks out the same a yesterday, around a 2 lbs, 11 oz. average, maybe an oz. or two lighter, but pretty close to what it was before.

I considered that perhaps the sear spring might need adjustment. The trigger has massaged stock internals. Now that Bobby Keigans is just about finished with my Limited gun, I'm thinking of sending him the Trojan to rework the trigger anyway. Just don't want any surprises for the match this Sunday.

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

Before you start adjusting, have a read here Brazos Trigger Tuning tips

This article and his recent article in Front Sight are right in front of me on my work bench.

When I hold the hammer back, pull the trigger and rock the hammer back and forth, I don't feel any contact between hammer and sear, FWIW.

Curtis