Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to removing plunger tube on 1911

tk2

I'm having trouble removing the plunger tube on my STI Spartan.

I would like to install one of the thumb guards with the integral plunger tubes, but I can't seem to get the original one off.

I tried putting a wire through the tube and then using pliers to try and pull it off, but that did not work. It started splitting the plunger tube on one end, but did not loosen it up at all.

Any suggestions?

most plunger tubes are staked in, much like standard front sights are,your going to have to go in the frame and drill out the stakes with a small ball burr type tip on a dremel type tool to get em to come loose, yanking on em, usually wont work if they are properly staked in

Edited by calishootr

Take a length of steel wire that will just fit inside the plunger tube and run it through the tube. With about 8" hanging out of each end bend each end at a 90 degree bend and then wrap each end around the other making a good 6-8 wraps. . Put the twisted ends in a vise and tighten the vise but not so hard as to crush the wires. Now grab the frame and pull away from the vise giving it a couple of good yanks. The plunger tube should pop off. Be careful when you yank that you don't go flying backwards a$$hole over elbow.

Check out Blindhog Custom Gun Works for plunger removal. :cheers:

Pat

You have good advice for removing the old tube but before you put the new tube on your gun take a small file and file a recess between the two legs of your new plunger tube,that way you will have a place to pry with a small screwdriver should you ever want to remove it. :cheers: