Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 9mm trigger job... further lightening?

justaute

HI all,

I have an XDM 9mm with a trigger job by Springer -- it's running flawlessly. My trigger job is around 4#, but I would like to get it down to 3# to 3.5#. Is there anything I can do myself? Or do I have to take it to a gunsmith? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Ken

HI all,

I have an XDM 9mm with a trigger job by Springer -- it's running flawlessly. My trigger job is around 4#, but I would like to get it down to 3# to 3.5#. Is there anything I can do myself? Or do I have to take it to a gunsmith? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Ken

For an XD to run reliably at 3#, you must be reloading and only using Federal primers. if this is so, let me know and i will detail how to get down to 3#.

"For an XD to run reliably at 3#, you must be reloading and only using Federal primers. if this is so, let me know and i will detail how to get down to 3#."

I set up XD/m's all the time at 2# trigger pull and it doesn't require Federal primers. My personal Competition XD runs only small rifle primers and it's set at 2.25# with over 45k rounds fired. If you switch to a lighter firing pin spring then Federal primers are needed, the stock firing pin spring will handle small rifle primers with no problems.

Rich

"For an XD to run reliably at 3#, you must be reloading and only using Federal primers. if this is so, let me know and i will detail how to get down to 3#."

I set up XD/m's all the time at 2# trigger pull and it doesn't require Federal primers. My personal Competition XD runs only small rifle primers and it's set at 2.25# with over 45k rounds fired. If you switch to a lighter firing pin spring then Federal primers are needed, the stock firing pin spring will handle small rifle primers with no problems.

Rich

i have never heard of anyone using rifle primers in a pistol.

Thanks, all. I have been advised that given my inexperience, I am not likely able to further lighten the trigger-pull on my own. In addition, I am also considering changing the trigger position; while my current trigger job has meaningfully shortened the travel, the trigger breaking-point feels as though it may be too close to the grip.

Thanks, all. I have been advised that given my inexperience, I am not likely able to further lighten the trigger-pull on my own. In addition, I am also considering changing the trigger position; while my current trigger job has meaningfully shortened the travel, the trigger breaking-point feels as though it may be too close to the grip.

it is possible to move the trigger engagement point back -- but there is one drawback. if you purchase the XDm trigger bar from Springer and put it in an XD, it will move the engagement point forward around 3/8 inch. Drawback: it disables the trigger safety. the XDm trigger bar is longer than the XD bar, hence the fulcrum point is moved back.

My 40 service has a 2.5# trigger and I use any type of primer I can find in stock even small rifle primers.

i have not found the lightest springer sear spring to provide a consistent and reliable reset of the trigger when over travel and pre-travel and been reduced to nearly zero. my 4 XDs are all set up for a very short trigger pull, around 3.5#. i compete with a 9mm, 2 40's and a 45. i have found that the mid weight spring yields the best overall reliability, especially in matches of 200+ rounds without cleaning. i shoot in the desert -- which means a lot of sand is getting kicked up all the time.

i leave my 45 set at 5# for IPSC Production. the let off is as close to a 1911 trigger as you can get with an XD. Actually, the only light primer strikes i experienced were on the 45 with the reduce power striker spring and CCI primers. i have yet to have a light strike on 9mm or 40 -- i suspect due to the smaller cup size.

i built a 40 limited gun for a buddy of mine with a 2.5# trigger that goes bang all the time -- but he only uses Fed primers and the lightest set of springs.

while your mileage may vary -- and you obviously have found a combo suitable for your needs, my guns need to function in 110+ heat, sand, etc.

i regrind the sear release angle with a modified Powers Custom #1 tool, and usually have to braze up all of my trigger bars to remove the rest of the pre-travel. i have found recently that the Springer sub compact trigger bar can be used in Service and Tactical models without requiring brazing to reduce take up (I don't grind anything off of the pre-travel nub, but i do reshape the engagement notch for the striker safety).

i do my trigger adjustments with the sear angle i grind instead of modifying the trigger bar. i also do not use the recommended position for the XD adapter for the Powers tool. i find that rotating it clockwise about 15-18 degrees, with 10-12 clicks up yields a superior trigger release when coupled with a polished striker.

Edited by tambarika