Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lyman Case Lube

Taipan

I would like to ask about the Lyman Qwik Spray Case Lube I was told by the guy at the local gun store that it is as good if not better than Hornady's One Shot Case Lube.

Hornady is the only one that seems to get a mention in these forums the Lyman down here sells for $15.00 a can where as the Hornady sells for $20.00 for the same size can.

I was told by the guy at the gun store that he uses it and it is far better than Hornady and you need to use even less than the Hornady to get the same results so you save even more money.

Now they do sell both of these products in the store so I see no reason that he would push one brand more than the other to get a sale.

The reason I am asking is that awhile ago a friend of mine who works with metal extrusions told me that you can use Silicone as a case lube but when I tried it using a well known brand my 1050 started to lock up and the cases were being scratched badly I had to clean the Silicone off the 200 cases I had sprayed :angry2: to get the 1050 working again.

Thanks in advance to any replies

No real need for "case lube"...pure, unscented lanolin can be found at most drug stores (sometimes it's behind the counter) and is the active ingredient in more than one case lube. I put several hundred tumbled cases in a box, then put a dab of lanolin on my hand and work it all around (heat from your skin softens it). Then I simply run my hands through the cases by grabbing handfuls of them at a time and just sort of letting them fall through my fingers. You don't have to touch every case, and less is more...very little is needed. I'd start off with a dab about half the size of a pencil eraser and see how that works. Most folks use too much the first or second time...keep that in mind. When done right, you don't have to tumble the loaded rounds, and the press/dies don't get gunked up at all. It makes a huge difference, and a $10-15 tube will do many tens of thousands of cases. R,