Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS Seat Crimp Die

JThompson

I looked at the rounds coming off and they didn't look right... if fact the looked rather short. I grabbed the calipers and found that the load was 1.125 from 1.170. There was some powder and dirt stuck up in there and caused the thing to seat to deep. Keep an eye on it if you have one of these dies. If I hadn't noticed it, it might have been a bad day. Anyway, just an FYI for ya.

JT

Edited by JThompson

i kno whatyour talking baout JT...been there done that, had noticed some of my 9mm's were looking a lil strange as they came offthe machine, like you, i measured, found em short, checked the die, it was locked down(didnt occur right away there was some crap in it) so i screwed out the seater plug, and lo an behold it had a plug in it/on it of some lube scrapings that got accumulated in the die...never had i had that kind ofthing happen before??? it did start a massive tear apart and cleaning of ALL of my dies hehehe lesson learned

the RCBS dies also have a knurled knob that is supposed to keep the seater plug tight, well, 9 times out of 10 mine do a lil walking, ive taken to putting a lil thread tape on the seater stem then running that knurled nut down overthat, to keep things tight...

What is special about the RCBS die? :unsure:

Does not matter the brand of dies. You need to keep them clean and keep an eye on the OAL.

Dillon die, 150,00 rounds and never had that happen. RCBS 3000 rounds and had that happen. I think it's because it a combination seat/crimp,

JT

Edited by JThompson

i kno whatyour talking baout JT...been there done that, had noticed some of my 9mm's were looking a lil strange as they came offthe machine, like you, i measured, found em short, checked the die, it was locked down(didnt occur right away there was some crap in it) so i screwed out the seater plug, and lo an behold it had a plug in it/on it of some lube scrapings that got accumulated in the die...never had i had that kind ofthing happen before??? it did start a massive tear apart and cleaning of ALL of my dies hehehe lesson learned

the RCBS dies also have a knurled knob that is supposed to keep the seater plug tight, well, 9 times out of 10 mine do a lil walking, ive taken to putting a lil thread tape on the seater stem then running that knurled nut down overthat, to keep things tight...

Thanks for the input..... :cheers: