Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Grip Change

Cameron

I am looking for a detailed explination on removing the grip on a 2011. I have downloaded the instruction manual off the STI website, but grip removal is not part of the instruction. I would like to do the least amount of dis-assembly to change the grip as possible. Could anyone please explain?

Heh... there is no "least amount" when it comes to the grip. The gun must come completely apart.

Remove EVERYTHING that you would in a detail stripping (slide, MS housing, safety, grip safety, hammer, sear, disconnector), then remove the two upper grip screws and the front trigger guard screw, and punch out the grip screw bushings. I've seen the removal explained lots of ways, but the way I do it is grab the grip in my left hand, and then use my thumb and ring finger to grip the frame (the metal part) and rock it back and forth to get the frame out of the grip... works for me, no broken grips. Once that's done, pull and fit the trigger to the new grip and reassemble.

Good luck!

Having the grip done by advancedperformanceshooting.com

Why do you recommend not removing the grip, too easy to break? I may have to remove it two times because I think I will be doing a trigger change in the future.

It's easy to remove the grip. Just follow the instructions given by 300lb. The hard part is getting the bushings aligned for the re-install.

I took the bushing to the hardware store, and found a 2" bolt with the same thread size.

I re-install by balancing the bushing on my little finger and carefully sliding it in from the top down to the hole. I thread the bolt into the bushing, (through the hole) and use the bolt to pull the bushing tight against the inside of the frame. Remember, it has a flat side. Once it's positioned, gently take the bolt out and replace with the grip screw.

Do it a few times and it's easy.

Having the grip done by advancedperformanceshooting.com

Why do you recommend not removing the grip, too easy to break? I may have to remove it two times because I think I will be doing a trigger change in the future.

okay. there is only two reasons to remove the grib.