Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW One Piece Guide Rod

BigTinVA

Unfortunately the search function is having issues this morning so I am not able to query the system for an answer.

The guide rod (unknown manufacturer) in my STI 2011 Open gun broke. The head separated from the rod right where the rod threads into the head. The threaded portion just fractured.

I purchased an EGW true one piece guide rod and just received it. It looks like good stuff. My old rod had a bevel or angle from the center of the rod to the "feet" on the back of the head. The EGW rod is just flat on the back of the head. Is the bevel necessary for the rod to fit a 2011 frame?

Edited by BigTinVA

The bevel is there so the back of the guide rod head will clear the feet or lower lugs of the barrel.If the clearance is not provided the angle of the feet interferes with the guide rod and forces it down in the bottom of the frames dust cover. Carefully file the new one for the same angle and clearance. Blacken the back of the head with a felt tip pen, work the slide about twenty times and then look at the head for any marks. File a bit more if needed.

Pat

What he said! I like to do it on a belt sander but it can be done on a bench grinder or with hand files. You should be able to copy the old guide rod if you did not through it away yet. Also make sure the guide rod you got is EGW for STI, that way the round in the head is the right size. The ones I use from EGW are number 9060 on the package.

Good luck!

What he said! I like to do it on a belt sander but it can be done on a bench grinder or with hand files. You should be able to copy the old guide rod if you did not through it away yet. Also make sure the guide rod you got is EGW for STI, that way the round in the head is the right size. The ones I use from EGW are number 9060 on the package.

Good luck!

Thanks guys! The EGW guide rod that I got is indeed number 9060.