Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Major For Single Stacks

dirtypool40

Like a lot of you out there I shoot an S_I in .40S&W loaded out long. My personal load is out to 1.235" oal.

My question is this: I also shoot a .40 cal Skinny gun from time to time. I have been using the same load, and 10mm mags from McCormick or .45 mags from Wilson, but I get the occaisional nosedive into the ramp.

I have been thinking about shortening them up. The dummy rounds I use for practice are loaded to 1.135 oal (standard length) and seem to feed fine hand cycling.

Other than the obvious high pressure problems to watch out for, what do you guys think?

DO SINGLE STACKS WORK BETTER WITH SHORTER ROUNDS?

You didn't say what bullet you use, I'd think it would have to be a 180 or 165 jhp to get it seated out that far. What profile of bullet are you loading? My loads for single stack are 1.195 and work very well in Shooting Star 10 round .45 mags that have had the lips tweeked. Most of the single stack 40 s& w shooters I know run their OAL between 1.180 and 1.200. I'd think that your nose dive problem is with the mags. Measure the distance between the lips on your 10 mm mags and ajust the .45's accordingly. If I ran your OAL in my gun the bullet would be engaging the rifling.

dirtypool40, load some up shorter and give them a try. I load 1.170” for my single stack 40. Factory OAL is not reliable in my Kimber but anything over 1.150” runs 100%. BTW I’m using Tripp mags in Lim 10 and Wilson 47D’s for IDPA.

However it would be convenient to use the same loads in both guns.

One other thing, some of the older Wilson 47D’s had feed lips that are too wide for .40 Current production Wilson’s work great.

I shoot an STI 40 in Limited and also a Kimber Gold Match 40 in L10, I use West Coast 180 grain RNFP bullets primarily at an OAL of 1.170". Both guns run flawlessly all the time! I use Chip McCormick 10mm 9 rd. mags and Tripp 10 rounders in the Kimber. :D

ummmmm, they could be allergic.

OK, I have no idea, but this is the first time I started using JPH's and that crap does get in them. Then of course is gets all in everything else.

I switched to one shot case lube, so maybe I can quit tumbling loaded ammo.