Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Measure failsafe rod whoops

Fortunately, I was just making practice ammo, but I finally had a whoops.

I noticed 700 rounds into a case of bullets that the failsafe rods wing nut had backed up a little bit. Instead of a crush fit against the spring, the failsafe rod wasn't pulling the powder bar back fully. It was stopping 1/16-1/8th inch short.

i tweaked mine on my 650. the fit was very grippy once installed,i just worked the Z part to release the tension on the powder measure linkeage.

if the white block moving with the powder bar go back and forth stoping at the distance you mentionned, it's ok, myself i take care of it, i dont want the square banging the frame of the powder measure causing a prematured wear. i heard it can wear/shrink pretty fast.

are these springs still for sale??

when i first got my 650 i got a problem with failsafe rod also, when it was installed and adjusted properly like the manual says, it looked like the failsafe rod was to short and got stuck in the powdermeasure linkage and put allot of tension on it and it pulled the whole powdermeasure with him, when seating a primer, i contacted dillon about it, and they send me a new rod, after i installed the second rod, the problem was over.

i compared the 2 rods, and with first one de z part of the rod wich you connect to the powdermeasure linkage, was bend wrong, the first one has an angle of about 45 degrees the second one they send was exactly 90 degrees.

I have both the new style and old style power measures. I actually bent the new "Z" shape into one of my old fail safe rods and it works great on both the new and old style powder measures.

Mine are about 15 years old and have never had a problem with one wearing out and have loaded many thousands of rounds.

Yes they are still available. I will check on the part number when I go down to my loading room later and will then post the number.

Brian

OK managed to find it in another thread. It is P/N 14036. As I recall they are sold in singly for about $2.00.

Edited by Too_Slow