Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage 1 String 5 Classification??

Jay Boggs

Hello, I can't find the answer.

IDPA Clasification Stage 1, String 5 the weak hand part.. I understand 45 degree saftey off, finger off trigger BUT this is what we had. A SSP division shooter using a Sig DA/SA, he wanted to know if he could start this stage with the hammer cocked?

Thanks

The shooter must start the string of fire with the hammer down.

re:

14.      Pistols must start from mechanical condition of readiness appropriate to their design.  In general, single-action autos will start cocked and locked (ESP & CDP), double-action autos (SSP) will start hammer-down and locked or unlocked.  However, unusual designs may be started in other ways.  Selective double-action autos may start cocked and locked or hammer down. Autoloaders MUST begin any Vickers Count string of fire requiring a re-load with the pistol loaded to maximum capacity or the maximum capacity allowed in that division. In the case of SSP division, this will be 11 rounds total.

An option is to manually cock the hammer with his 'weak' hand after the buzzer has sounded.

However this shooter can use this weapon in two different divisions. SSP and ESP

A Sig could be shot in ESP, but I don't think it can start with the hammer cocked, because it has no manual safety--there is no possibility for a Sig to be "cocked and locked".

DD

• 1 month later...

I'm new to shooting competitions... what I don't understand is the Glock in both ESP & SSP.

I know there is a "technical" reason for it but I have a hard time thinking of it as a DA/SA or having the ability to be "cocked and locked" (nothing locks it... yes, I know there is a "trigger safety").

There's a phrase in the rule book that basically says: Any gun suitable for SSP may also be shot in ESP/CDP depending on the caliber, i.e. .45s play in CDP, everything else in SSP.

example:

45 Glocks may be run in SSP with 10 rounds in the mag or in CDP with 8 loaded.