Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

From GM back to U

old506

Last year one of my mistakes (I feel anyway) was to do too much LF in the cold weather. I don't think I learned as much and this year I am just going to save my ammo for better weather than trying to fight it.

So, DF twice a day now but I have done something different. In the A.M. session I haven't been using a timer and am just doing the days drills without "hurrying" or going "fast", kind of the speed you would use to walk across the room to get a drink of water or something (if that makes sense?). Just trying to do them correct with the least amount of movement possible.

When the P.M. session comes along, I am blowing through the par times and it take much less time to warm up. My sights are bam! right where they need to be, my movements feel much more smooth/quicker/crisp. Then the Par times fall.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the annual week stay at the winter retreat. I read one shooting book every day, Lanny's book (twice), Steven Anderson's two books, Stoeger's book, Seeklander's book and a couple of other books that have to do with the "mental" side of sports. I was also able to dry fire 2-3 times a day between working out and just relaxing/having fun with the family. It is an awesome week to start the season, the snow is about gone and live fire is here.

• For the year going forward instead of doing the entire Seeklander system start to finish, I have decided to customize the drills and work on things that need to be polished up. I am pushing the targets back in live fire and am not going to move off of them until they are right. 1st of all I am going to focus on far/near/far targets with a reload in between.
  • I have committed to dry fire twice a day morning/evening with the morning just doing it correctly with no judgment of speed and with the timer in the afternoon.

• 1 month later...

Well, it has taken 2 and a half years now......I have been putting up 90%+ classifiers the last couple times. Haven't gotten a 95%er but it is just a matter of time.......

The two-a-days are really what have accelerated all the learning. I haven't missed very many since my last post a month ago. Doing it exactly right in the A.M., for speed in the P.M. has lit my shooting on fire.

I tried to reverse engineer this thing and it has seemed to work pretty well.

Long way to go but I'm closer.

• 5 months later...

Well, the two-a-days really moved me ahead. Imagine that. The realization hits that everything gets harder from here though, much harder.

I just took about 5 weeks off. I had a family vacation and couldn't work on my gun stuff and my matches are over for the year so I really don't have anything to "shoot" for. So, I made myself take the time off. No film, no DF, no LF, no reviewing notes even. The two-a-days were wearing on me, I had kept them up for the most part since my last post in April, I wasn't burned out but I wanted to break before I did.

Today I strapped everything back on, it felt a bit weird. I know it hasn't been all that long ago but it felt like I had it on all the time just a few short weeks ago. The weather cooled down so it isn't so brutal during the p.m. DF, that's nice.

I had a little sloppiness but for the most part, I don't think I lost much, probably more mental then anything.

One other thing I noticed, my hands were chewed up in August. I don't work with my hands, I am a suit, so it was nice to have them heal back up. But, I know that there is going to be some blood on the grip here in the near future.

I also reviewed all my notes and listed the top handful of things that will put me over the top. I know if I accomplish these few things, although hard, I will be in a pretty good spot.