Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marvel 22 Open Top End

JFlowers

I have recently acquired a Marvel 22 Conversion with the 5.3" barrel. I want to set this up so I can switch out with my 38 Super top end and practice more. But I have some questions for anyone who has done this...

1) Is the Marvel Comp worthwhile? I know Comping a 22 is not real useful, but is the form matching the 38S topend worthwhile?

2) Is there a way to mount a cocking handle on the Marvel like I have on the 38S? Or will the weight just be too much for the 22 bolt? I realize I could mount it to the fixed part of the slide just for form matching.

3) What is the dot adjustment like? Is it significant?

The comp is definitely worthwhile. You won't believe the amount of muzzle flip that it eliminates until you try it out without the comp. Cleaning the comp is a PIA, but a Dremel tool works wonders. Be sure to check out the inner configuration of the comp before firing it so you'll know how much gunk to cut out when you clean it. It takes a while to build up in there, but you are shooting lead through a comped barrel, and you WILL get build-up of lead and carbon.

A cocking handle is out of the question on that setup. Too much weight for the gun to run reliably if you add weight to the slide in any way.

Can't help you on the dot adjustment thing.

These conversions are very ammo sensitive for the best accuracy, so you'll need to try several different types & brands to find what it likes best. After that you'll have a tack-driver!

Alan~^~

Go for the comp, ditto on what Alan said....

Now for the most important part......You need to get some Tactical Solutions SS mags. I have dicked around with the metalform and "ace" magazines for years......I bought some TacSol mags and now the gun runs 100%, period. I sold all my Metalform mags and just use the TacSol mags.....they are not cheap, but they work, period!

Good luck,

DougC