Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airsoft or pellet gun training on the cheap?

Will B. Droopy

Hi All,

I shoot USPSA Production, and I can't afford tens of thousands of rounds of 9mm practice ammo per year -- much less surviving days at the range in 100+ degree heat -- so I typically practice at home with an all-metal Beretta PX4 Storm .177 pellet gun with reciprocating slide (pretty good recoil!).

The problem is, due to the fact that most pellet and Airsoft guns use pot-metal construction for their internals, they don't seem to last long. For instance, something in my Beretta Storm's trigger group broke after about six thousand rounds, and it is now useless. (This internal breakage occurred, needless to say, ten days AFTER the expiration of its 90 day warranty).

So my question: What Airsoft or pellet gun model, hopefully priced under $200, would not only be appropriate for home Production Division training, but can also take the "abuse" of our practice and not break after a few thousand rounds? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Bill

The Beretta Storm pellet gun:

BerettaPX4_1308.jpg

1. Run a search in the Airsoft sub-Forum. If you don't get anything, or don't know how to ask the "search" question so that you get usable answers, feel free to ask.

2. I have a WE Hi-Capa 5.1, purchased from Manny Bragg. He's one of the Forum dealers. I have ~7K rounds through the gun, one minimal hardware glitch. Manny carries parts so you don't have to order from Shanghai. Most of the gun/mag system is metal; pretty sturdy, though I don't drop the mags during reload practice. When loaded, the weight is very similar to a the loaded Production gun.

3. Many of the Production guns now have almost exact duplicates available in an airsoft model. For $200, you can get something decent. Please let us know what you shoot; I'm sure there's somebody here who practices with an airsoft clone and can let you know how that works.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I shoot USPSA Production, and I can't afford tens of thousands of rounds of 9mm practice ammo per year -- much less surviving days at the range in 100+ degree heat -- so I typically practice at home with an all-metal Beretta PX4 Storm .177 pellet gun with reciprocating slide (pretty good recoil!).

The problem is, due to the fact that most pellet and Airsoft guns use pot-metal construction for their internals, they don't seem to last long. For instance, something in my Beretta Storm's trigger group broke after about six thousand rounds, and it is now useless. (This internal breakage occurred, needless to say, ten days AFTER the expiration of its 90 day warranty).

So my question: What Airsoft or pellet gun model, hopefully priced under $200, would not only be appropriate for home Production Division training, but can also take the "abuse" of our practice and not break after a few thousand rounds? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Hi Bill,

Check out http://www.bamairsoft.com/

Phil and Dale are writing the book on USPSA training with Airsoft Pistols. I personally us the KWA 1911 Double Stack and have had good success with it. There are other options also. Don't by a cheapy Airsoft as it won't stand up to the abuse. Even the well made ones break and you will need to become skilled in repairs.

As you will see in the videos of Phil and Dale, they are serious about their training and they will get you set up if you want to go down this road.

Good luck!

Kent

-Bill

The Beretta Storm pellet gun:

BerettaPX4_1308.jpg

Oh crap.

Sorry to hear that.

I was the guy who recommended this pellet gun a few months back.

So far, mine had been working perfectly, but it doesn't have any where near the use yours has.

My airsoft version of the CO2 powered Sigma as been running good for two years, and it has nearly the same recoil.

Realizing the limitations of airguns, I use three different ones and rotate their use.

Maybe that's the trick.

If my Storm does fail, I'll get another one, since they do an excellent job and only cost about $90.

Not exactly a major expense these days.

And can we really have too many guns?

Collecting these new fangled airguns can get downright habit forming.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey sorry I am so late on this! I have had very good luck with my KWA 1911 Double Stack that I purchased from the guys at BAMairsoft.com These guys are two A Class USPSA shooters who have leapfrogged a bunch of the competition by practicing with the best of the airsoft equipment available. They have even created a bunch of targets that are the right site ratio for what we shoot in our matches. Good luck! Kent