Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this some sort of indicator?

westczek

I wonder if this is some sort of indicator on the popularity of revolver...

A few years back when tried to order an extractor rod tool from Brownells I saw that the manufacturer had discontinued them. Now Brownells is making the tool again and Power Custom also has a tool for the job.

Today I got the new Dillion catalog and was surpised to find another tool being made for the job. L. Bengtson Arms Co. has a third take on the extractor rod tool. I supose there are only so many ways to skin this cat, but could another tool be on the way?

Maybe this is the "gun tool index" of firearm popularity, but is it a leading or lagging indicator?

I have the Power Cutom tool, it works on three differnt size extractors, pretty simple design. The Brownells tool is designed for a specific size, extractor, so you need a differnt tool for differnt extractor sizes. The L. Bengtson Arms Co tool fits two sizes, looks like J on one side and K/L/N frames on the other.

Westczek

Maybe it does indicate that revolvers are making a comeback!

However, two thoughts immediately occur to me:

1. Unless a problem has developed, it is not necessary to take apart the extractor assembly. It is all too easy for the uninitiated to tweak, bend, overtighten, and break things.

2. A smooth-jawed drill chuck, which most people already have but can be found at any Wal-Mart or hardware store, is easier and faster than any of those expensive specialty tools anyway!

I do agree that if you don't have a serious reason to disassemble the extractor assembly, it's not a good idea.

I only did it because the six shot cylinder donor that I had was a snub and I needed to put a full length rod on it. I had quite a bit of trouble taking the short one apart using a drill chuck. The full length rod (it was a double transplant) worked fine with the chuck. I'm not sure how much a tool like one of these would have helped.

On the idea of tools being an indicator of the level of revolver enthusiasm, I meant it rather tongue-in-cheek. However, for businesses to make the tools there would have to be at least some critical mass of market interest (you would think).

Westczek