Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Shotgun-got A Deal, Need Some Advice

Gun Geek

Was in the right place at the right time today and picked up what I think is a Benelli M1 Field Grade. Guy wanted a fancy over and under - liked 2 chokes and didn't like the high-tech all black look.

I've read the posts about shot guns for 3gun, and was thinking about an M1. I already have a Super Black Eagle in satin and walnut so I'm familiar with them. The SBE is a little to gentlemanly (kinda fragile wood and has a 28"tube) to be effective in 3gun.

Looked at pics on the net and I identify the gun as M1 Field (which is what I thought it was):

Black Finish/Synthetic Stock

Ribbed barrel, measures 24"

Chambered for 2 3/4" or 3" shells

Semi-auto only (therefore not an M3 or M4)

Does this sound like an M1 Field?

What's the diff between an M1 Field and an M1 Super 90

How should I trick it out (looking to shoot in Limited/Standard)

Is a shorter barrel more effective for 3gun (say 18.1" :P )

If so would it be better to have a smith whack the end of this barrel or get another one.

What do the USPSA rules say about this kind of mod?

Thanks for the help!!!

I'd leave the barrel alone, I shoot a 22" for Limited and 26" for Open. Retain the screw in chokes. Add a suitable mag tube, 8 rds for Limited, 10 rounds for Open. I recommend those by DMW available from Speedshooters Intl. When there, buy a DMW oversize safety button. Do not get an oversized bolt handle. I like a rib and bead for Limited sights. May want to add a red-dot for Open. No need for comp or ports on the barrel. If shooting Open, you need speedloader tubes and bracket, otherwise you might add a side saddle. 3-Gun Gear makes a nice 8 round unit that velcros to the side of the receiver. NOW, practice reloads.

M1 Super 90 by the sounds of it, dealers seem to call them M1 Field synthetic or S90 and mean the same thing. Good gun, I have one exactly the same as yours - but just get used to the recoil........ and practice loading :D

Good luck

Mike