Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultrasonic cleaning solution

Macca

Guys,

whats a good homemade ultrasonic cleaning solution..... I've seen vinegar and water followed by bicarb and water to neutralize....does this change the properties of the brass cases?

What about cleaning small steel parts?

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

whats a good homemade ultrasonic cleaning solution..... I've seen vinegar and water followed by bicarb and water to neutralize....does this change the properties of the brass cases?

What about cleaning small steel parts?

Dawn dishwashing detergent.

Mike

Citric acid added to warm water. In an ultrasonic you most likely will not need to heat the water. I mix 8 tbl to a gallon of water to clean my brass and it does a great job. You can find the citric acid in health food stores for about $4 a pound.

There is a commercial concentrate made by Simple Green. It's purple (go figure).

Half to one-third strength with plain tap water cleans gun parts (not tried with brass).

Run, rinse, wipe out. Loosens up the gunk so it comes right off with a toothbrush (virtually no scrubbing) or a quick swipe of the bore snake.

One time I had something come up and left my parts in the parts cleaner for a couple of days. When I got back to them they had signs of pitting and corrosion. Since then I've only used WD-40 in my ultrasonic cleaner. It does a good job of dissolving oil and gun powder residue. I can leave the gun in there for weeks without any worries about rust, and when they come out of the cleaner they are coated in oil. I don't have to worry about blowing the water out of all the nooks and crannies. I just wipe the WD-40 off, and it's ready to go.

It also won't affect anodized aluminum parts. I've got a couple of guns that used to be black that are now silver thanks to Simple Green.