Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady XTP and Titegroup

BLUTO

Ive spent the last couple days going batty trying to find load data for Titegroup and Hornady XTP 45's.

Ive got 230 and 180's. So far every thing Im seeing is contradictory. Even the OAL is all over the place.

Anyone got a set of numbers they can share?

• 2 weeks later...

Did a fair bit of experimenting and then drove the tires off back and forth to the range.

Got all the way down to 4.1 with TG and found that 4.2 made 165PF and was fairly soft. 4.3 came in around 175 average.

Accuracy across the span 4.1 to 5.0 was oddly about the same.

Edited by domfort

Did a fair bit of experimenting and then drove the tires off back and forth to the range.

Got all the way down to 4.1 with TG and found that 4.2 made 165PF and was fairly soft. 4.3 came in around 175 average.

Accuracy across the span 4.1 to 5.0 was oddly about the same.

What bullet/OAL ? Ive got 1000 185gr XTP's to use sometime.

The number I have here is 1.210. I couldn't find squat for numbers so I measured factory HST and Ranger SXT's and set mine a tad longer - they were 1.200ish

I also backed the crimp way off. From what I see the XTP bullet is VERY soft. Once I pulled a couple rounds I saw a huge deformation of the bullet base. With the crimp backed off when I pull them I see "factory" striations but no squish.

Im going to try some lower than 4.1 and see what I get for numbers.

Hornady's website and load manual both only show they make the XTP in 185 and 230, not a 180.

Straight out of the Hornady Manual:

185 gr XTP w/ titegroup: Starting 5.1=850 FPS, Max load 6.6gr= 1050 FPS COL=1.230"

230 gr XTp w/ titegroup: Starting 4.3=700 FPS, Max load 5.2gr= 850 FPS COL=1.230"