Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice needed for various sight combinations

K37

I recently purchased an XD(m) 9mm and plan to carry the handgun and begin competition in USPSA Production and later in IDPA. Obviously I'll end up acquiring more handguns in the future when I get more experience, but not anytime soon. I am going to get the trigger worked on and would like to get the sights replaced at the same time to start out learning competition on good equipment. I've read as many topics as I could over the last week concerning my questions but have not been able to nor do I anticipate being able to try different sights prior to sending my weapon away. My questions are:

SIGHT STYLES: I have a 1911 with Novak black on black sight which work well for me (regarding front sight focus and accuracy) during the day, outside, and against good contrast. Don't like the three dot factory XD(m) sights; however, with the rear sights blacked out, they're all right. What are you're opinions on practicality of carrying and competing with the various sights I'm considering:

-Black on Black

-Black rear, F/O font (with the flexibility to change to a less bright front (i.e. different color), take the FO out and either leave the hole or darken it in as desired in the future)

-Black rear, Tritium front (I'm not so concerned with the tritium front in a defensive situation, more as a compromise between a bright FO front and a black front as it

relates to sight acquisition and good sight focus/accuracy during long shots).

SIGHT WIDTHS: Based on my trigonometry and measurements (distance front and rear sights are from dominant eye, target distance...etc.) a .100 front sight (on my weapon) will cover 3.5" @ 25yds, .115 4" @ 25yds, .125 4.5" @ 25yds, and .150 5.4" @ 25yds. This obviously effects a greater level of accuracy or target acquisition with a smaller front sight but my concern is also how front sight width will affect me in a carry situation.

Similarly, I've noticed that ,with my pistol sights being 6.6" apart and a measured distance from my dominant eye, most factory front sights take up approximately 75% of the rear notch when the weapon is sighted (.150 rear with a .150 front), most tactical/carry/tritium front sights take up approximately 64% of the rear notch when the weapon is sighted, and a little more with some (i.e. .140 rear, .125 front or .150 rear, .125 front, and most competition front sights take up approximately a little over 50% of the rear notch when the weapon is sighted (.125 rear with a .100 front or smaller). From what I've read a smaller percentage of the rear notch taken up by the front sight with the weapon drawn aides in quicker shots with a detriment to long range accuracy. And I'm not sure how a smaller percentage will affect its use when carried. Obviously durability is also an issue when carried.

I'm considering the Heinie Straight 8 .140 rear with a .125 front or a DP .125 fixed black rear with a .100 FO front (which could be modified as mentioned above). I like the Heinie LPI and wonder if the tritium dot would be a good compromise between white/FO on black, but I've read great things about the DP shallow rear notch and its good sight picture. I'm open to any suggestions. Does anyone have any experience with having to compromise between sights used for USPSA competition, IDPA and daily carry.

Thanks,

Kenrick

I went through a similar situation when I started shooting competition. What I was told by my mentor, and found out first hand, is that while we know that they eyes can only focus on one focal plane at a time. when you have 3dot white/fiber optic/tritium front and rear sights the brain doesn't immediately focus on a specific plane. You have to tell it to focus on the front sight. While a tritium front/rear set up is great for a low light defensive situation, I will never use it for competition again.

I sent my 5in XD to Springer Precision and had them put a red FO (fiber optic) front and all black target adjustable rear sights from Dawson Precision on it. I couldn't believe what a difference it made in fast target acquisition. I won't say that a FO front is the best because I also have a SV limited gun with black front blade and black adjustable target rear. It is also a great set-up. I think either is a better setup than FO front and rear or 3 dot system. And the thinner Dawson and SV front sight post is also a great help with fast target acquisition. It can't hurt to ask a few guys at your next match to try out their guns with a couple rounds and see what sight set-up you prefer. I have yet to meet a shooter that won't let a newer competitor try out their gear.

Hope this helps!

DVC!!

Thanks for the reply. I have definitely noticed that any rear sights other than black makes it harder for me to quickly focus on the front sight. I darkened out my rear white dots and that helps quite a bit. I'm wondering if rear black and front tritium will provide enough of a front sight reference point (i.e. the white glue around the tritium tube in the front) to aid in acquiring the front sight for quick shots while also allowing me to focus on the top of the front sight blade for accuracy. I have yet to see anyone running a black rear, front tritium, but I've read some posts on this sight to know that some are doing it. I'm definitely going with black rear. Thanks for the reply.

Kenrick

warren tactical makes a tritium dot front with a U notch rear with a single tritium dot rear.

the rear dot is dimmer than the front and is orange in color, I had a set on a glock 17 and thought they were quick enough for me, I did remove them though:

I got the sights from Dawson and after installing them I realized the following, that the front sight was very very slightly bent or built incorrectly into its mounting base where it inserts into the front sight installation hole on the glock. Of all the front sights that can be installed on a pistol, the glock design is probably the most fool proof to install. SOmehow they got this one wrong. The other problem was the rear tritium dot was not at the bottom of the U notch but slightly off center. This was not noticeable until the sights were monuted on the gun. I showed this to a few other shooters and they said, "yeah thats jacked up, and for $120 Id send them back".

the people at Dawson were of course, super cool and easy to deal with. They gave me a refund and apologized, offered to replace them, etc etc. I just got my money back and bought a set of Ameriglo fiber optics from Ameriglo.com. If you use the code GSSF you get a discount. The delivered cost on these sights was $50 to my door, and they are good sights! I got a fiber optic front and a plain black rear and they are predictably really easy to acquire.

If the warrens had been made correctly, I would probably still have them on my glock

Beretta Lover, I'm going to have to take a stronger look at Ameriglo. I've been reading quite a bit of good reviews on this site about them. At least I know that DP isn't going to stiff me on sights if I order some with them and have a problem. Thanks for the reply.

I have a question if someone could help me. On the input of previous posts I am planning on a Dawson flat rear sight and a F/O front. My question is the width of the rear sight groove, notch/ aperture? Should I have as wide a rear notch as available and as skinny as possible front sight post to assist in rapid and accurate target acquisition?

Thank you

For size of front sight in the rear notch, I've tried several different versions from a whole lot of light on either side of the front to almost no light on either side. What I've come back to is exactly what BE has in his book. The light bars on either side of the front sight when held like you are shooting should each be about 1/2 the width of the front sight. This allows enough light for my eyes to pick it up quickly and kind of see through the sights to the target when I want to. Also, I use black on black sights on my Bianchi gun with the same size format and don't lose anything at distance out to 50 yards. In fact, I shoot better at that distance with more space on either side of the front sight. Your eye/brain will center the front sight in the rear notch even with a lot of light. That's why ghost ring sights work so well.

For outdoor only, I consider black on black sights the best. For indoor but lighted conditions I consider a fiber front with black rear better. For low light I think three dot sights or front and rear tritium are the best. For one gun to shoot all three I would say black rear with fiber front but the smallest fiber in the front available. If the fiber is too big I get glare outdoors in full light and it fuzzes the top of the front sight hampering accuracy. This setup isn't the absolute best for any of the three conditions but I think it works well in all three.

Just my opinion.

Chris

For size of front sight in the rear notch, I've tried several different versions from a whole lot of light on either side of the front to almost no light on either side. What I've come back to is exactly what BE has in his book. The light bars on either side of the front sight when held like you are shooting should each be about 1/2 the width of the front sight. This allows enough light for my eyes to pick it up quickly and kind of see through the sights to the target when I want to. Also, I use black on black sights on my Bianchi gun with the same size format and don't lose anything at distance out to 50 yards. In fact, I shoot better at that distance with more space on either side of the front sight. Your eye/brain will center the front sight in the rear notch even with a lot of light. That's why ghost ring sights work so well.

For outdoor only, I consider black on black sights the best. For indoor but lighted conditions I consider a fiber front with black rear better. For low light I think three dot sights or front and rear tritium are the best. For one gun to shoot all three I would say black rear with fiber front but the smallest fiber in the front available. If the fiber is too big I get glare outdoors in full light and it fuzzes the top of the front sight hampering accuracy. This setup isn't the absolute best for any of the three conditions but I think it works well in all three.

Just my opinion.

Chris

Thank you great help!