Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Change

Dump1567

1.  How long should a mag change take? I'm at 1.5 seconds (give or take) and was wondering what a fast time would be.

2.  I'm using a Glock 35 with Beven Basepads and T.H.E. brass magwell.  I've noticed that two off my mags don't always drop free.  Is there anything I can do to fix this problem.  I'm using brand new L.E. hi-caps.  Would Armoral work?

I guess time for a mag change depends on how you measure the time and whether or not you hit the target after the change.

I put my target at 7 yards, set the timer on random, shoot a shot at the beep, reload and shoot the second shot, then measure the splits. The second shot almost always hits the A zone with an occasional C hit. I do this drill and record the results each month to track improvement. Last fall when I was at my peak (I lay off in the winter) my average time was 1.39 in October and 1.44 in September. That's with my wide body STI. For what it is worth, those times aren't record breaking, but they ain't too shabby. This morning I averaged 10 reloads with my single stack and it worked out to 1.77 seconds. Again, that isn't a great feat, but it isn't bad. I have always been slower with my single stack. I have heard that there are guys who can reload in a second, but I have never seen it done.

Two of my friends shoot G35 pistols and they fix their sticky magazines by beating on the sides of them with a rubber mallet. I guess the metal liner spreads out so they just beat it back.

Dave,

You should work at getting your magchanges down under 1.5 seconds.  One thing I noticed you do at a match is you hit the mag release, you wait for the mag to drop before you go for a fresh one.  When you hit the mag release you should already be going for the other mag with the other hand simultaneously.  Make some dummy rounds without  primers and powder, mark them with a red marker and load up your mags for practice.  With a glock it is harder to do a fast reload because you have to slam the magazine in really hard.  Practice your magchanges at home until you get the  right feel.  Leave one of your mags full of dummy rounds in the gun when you are not using it and it will help break the gun in, allowing the mags to drop more freely.

• 1 month later...

I use spray silicone on my Glock and it's magazines. I find it works better than Armorall.

Just a light coat. It does not pick up dirt and makes the mags much slicker. Remember to spray a light coating up inside the grip when the pistol is disasembled for cleaning.

Dump,

I also shoot a Glock 35.  No magwell.  I just shoot the El Prez last week.  My reload was just under 1.50  (that is with a 10 yard hit).  

My non drop free mags, even when empty, will not come out of my G35 without help.  The drop free mags are much better.  All the mags seem to come out of my G22 (no finger-grooves) without problem.  It has been my theory...and that of a few on GlockTalk...that the finger-grooved G35 has a smaller mag tunnel.

About time to visit the thread again. I have been hitting the mag changes hard the last couple of months. My par time from shot to shot on a 10 inch plate at 10 yards is 1.37 seconds (avg. of 10) and I am delighted.

At 3 yards I draw, fire, reload, and fire again in 2.3 seconds (average the best 8 out of ten). In his third tape Ron Avery does this drill in under two seconds. That dude is fast.