Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fmj Vs. Tcj Bullets

.40AET

I am currently using MG 180g Full Metal Jacket .40 bullets. I am thinking of switching to 180g Total Copper Jacket bullets. Is there a good reason to use one type over the other. Does one type have better accuracy than the other? I am happy with the FMJ, but if there is anything to be gained, then I would switch.

Thanks for any advice,

Kirk

The only reason is probably that there isn't the exposed lead base like you find with the FMJs. If you are shooting indoors this might make a difference.

Accuracy in a typical pistol at the ranges we typically are shooting at probably isn't going to be different enough to notice unless you are shooting bullseye. I haven't ever done a side-by-side comparison though.

FWIW...I have gone through about 5K of the 180 CMJs and really like them. Can't say they are any more or less accurate than the Zero 180 FMJs I was shooting before I switched.

Guest Larry Cazes

As already stated....The upside to TCJ is that there is no exposed lead at the base of the bullet. The lead at the base of FMJ or lead bullet when fired does vaporize and can cause health issues if you shoot indoors a bit. For a lot of us this is a major issue.

Safety is one issue. I have 2 small children and keeping lead exposure to a minimum is a priority. I had read in an unrelated post that the FMJ's usually need an extra .1 or .2 to get the same velocity as a TMJ because of the lead bottom. Most TCJ bullets that I have looked at are plated, quality is an issue. If the MG version is jacketed with a copper bottom, then that sounds like the ticket.

Another vote for anything but the open based FMJ stuff.

Lead exposure is one reason.

And though I have not done side by side comparisons in pistols, rifles show that most FMJ's are inferior from an accuracy standpoint, when compared to enclosed base bullets.

Travis F.