Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD Top Ends Available Anywhere?

DT Guy

I've come to realize I'm liking my XD9 more and more, and I've begun thinking it would be nice to be able to swap to a 5" top end at times.

I know, 'Buy another one' is the logical answer, but I'm thinking it would be easier/better to work with one trigger, one grip, etc. for a while. I've switched guns often (too often) in the past, and I'm wondering if sticking with one platform might not have benefits while I resume competitive shooting.

Any ideas where to buy top ends, or any thoughts on the idea itself, would be most welcome.

Larry

There's a reason, "buy another one" is the answer, If it is the same platform no reason they shouldnt feel the same, If you can find all the parts you need do the math and you'll find out you are getting mighty close if not exceeding the cost of a complete gun, On a poly lower gun like the XD most of the cost is in the upper. You also may end up with fitting issues, You didnt mention a specific sport but I would recommend a 40 in the longest barrel available, you can download for IDPA or USPSA Production, run it hot for bowling pins, or load major for USPSA Limited, A 5 inch 40 caliber double stack gun of a mainstream design with aftermarket support has got to be the most versatile gun out there, with a few tweaks one way or the other and some ammo changes you can be competitive in pretty much any game in town, Shoot even cowboy action has created a Wild Bunch division to get auto-loader guys to show up.

There's a reason, "buy another one" is the answer, If it is the same platform no reason they shouldnt feel the same, If you can find all the parts you need do the math and you'll find out you are getting mighty close if not exceeding the cost of a complete gun, On a poly lower gun like the XD most of the cost is in the upper. You also may end up with fitting issues, You didnt mention a specific sport but I would recommend a 40 in the longest barrel available, you can download for IDPA or USPSA Production, run it hot for bowling pins, or load major for USPSA Limited, A 5 inch 40 caliber double stack gun of a mainstream design with aftermarket support has got to be the most versatile gun out there, with a few tweaks one way or the other and some ammo changes you can be competitive in pretty much any game in town, Shoot even cowboy action has created a Wild Bunch division to get auto-loader guys to show up.

+1 on all the above

Thanks. I've got a tricked Glock 35 that does all that, actually. I'm trying to stick with 9 for cost (not reloading anymore, at least now) and would like to have 4" and 5" tops available with fixed and adjustable sights. I'm still working on what I'll shoot best, but would like the variety and ability to experiment without 2 trigger jobs,etc.

That said, are top ends ever available from SA or any suppliers? I've searched without luck, but could be missing something.

Larry

As far as I know, neither SA or any aftermarket suppliers offer just slides or top ends. My best suggestion would be to watch the auction websites (Gunbroker, Auction Arms, etc.) to see if you can find a top end or pieces of one.... Sorry, no easy button...

The only way to find just a top end is on the secondary market. SA doesn't sell major components on their XD/m line, just the small parts. If cost is an issue find a used gun for sale and strip it for the parts you want and sell the rest off.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Just my $02, but I shoot a 4" tactical xd and at my club we will often shoot out to 75yds on steel, there is not forgiving with those targets. I have shot the 5" guns and find them to be a little nose heavy, which makes flinching that much easier.

Consider saving your money on the top end and spend it on ammo and get more practice, the gun is capable, now it's up to you to be better than the gun.