Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacement for cheesy Match rear sight?

bfwally

I really want to replace the cheesy LPA adjustable rear sight on my Witness match. After putting Henning's front fiber sight on, the stock LPA needed to be adjusted almost to the top of its travel and looked precariously balanced. Yesterday I noticed that the elevation screw had gone wherever it is that vanished gun hardware goes (is it with all the missing left socks?). So I had to find the right size metric screw, cut it down, and Loctite the c*** out of it for a match today. Pray for me.

Has anyone had any luck modifying a high-profile sight intended for some other gun, like say a 1911, to fit the dovetail of a Match and work well with a Henning fiber front?

I plan on replacing mine with the EAA standard combat sight. I've found it to be the best sight for the Witness pistols. No adjustment screws to mess with or lose. It's the standard sight on the Steel model. I've also looked at the jpoint, which I think would be a neat replacement.

bluestringer

I plan on replacing mine with the EAA standard combat sight. I've found it to be the best sight for the Witness pistols. No adjustment screws to mess with or lose. It's the standard sight on the Steel model. I've also looked at the jpoint, which I think would be a neat replacement.

bluestringer

Do you have a front fiber sight? It is taller than the stock front.

bluestringer

Do you have a front fiber sight? It is taller than the stock front.

No I do not. But I do plan on getting the EAA fiber front sight which is the same height as the stock one.

bluestringer

I have the Henning fiber with the LPA rear on my match. Like you said its a little high, so I thought about looking into putting the taller Bomar style sight on it (which is what my Limited has). Henning has the sight if you want it:

http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/sights.html

I would think you just need to find one with the correct size of dovetail to fit the LPA notch.

I have the Henning fiber with the LPA rear on my match. Like you said its a little high, so I thought about looking into putting the taller Bomar style sight on it (which is what my Limited has). Henning has the sight if you want it:

http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/sights.html

I would think you just need to find one with the correct size of dovetail to fit the LPA notch.

I talked to Henning about that sight, and he says it will not fit the Match pistols that come with the LPA rear.

I've got the Hennig iFiber front sight on my Match 40 with the LPA rear sight. I'm still looking for a replacement rear sight, but in the meant time, I have the rear sight cranked almost all the way up. It's about 7 clicks away from max height. In addition, with the rear sight cranked up that high, not much of the front sight is left visible, so I took a jeweler's file and made the notch deeper so I could see about 95% of the height of the front sight. I also like having more light around my front sight, so since I was filing anyway and would have to re-zero, I also made the notch just a little wider.

Please, please, please. If anybody finds a good replacement rear adjustable rear sight, please post information here, or PM me with your leads.

If it turns out that no taller rear sight is available, you can have a taller blade soldered or screwed to the rear face of the existing sight. Its a popular conversion here for Bo-mars and Milletts on guns for PPC type matches, except that they make them wider as well as taller. Sorry, here is Australia

Peter

• 1 month later...

I've got the Hennig iFiber front sight on my Match 40 with the LPA rear sight. I'm still looking for a replacement rear sight, but in the meant time, I have the rear sight cranked almost all the way up. It's about 7 clicks away from max height. In addition, with the rear sight cranked up that high, not much of the front sight is left visible, so I took a jeweler's file and made the notch deeper so I could see about 95% of the height of the front sight. I also like having more light around my front sight, so since I was filing anyway and would have to re-zero, I also made the notch just a little wider.

Please, please, please. If anybody finds a good replacement rear adjustable rear sight, please post information here, or PM me with your leads.

Well I don't have any info on a new REAR sight, but I just talked to Henning about his iFiber front sights and he said that he's making a new batch:

0.165" and 0.180" tall which will both be great for Limited. For Match I'm making 0.140" tall.

So for me (who's sight flew off my 10mm) there is hope for a shorter front to match with the LPA rear..