Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro Mags For Para 16 40 Lda

yeahyeah

I had the same problem with some Pro Mags I had for another pistol (non-1911 style). I had to tune the feedlips on the mags. I just took my calipers and measured how the feedlips were set up on a mag that worked flawlessly and tweaked the ProMags to the same configuration. I then polished the burrs off the lips and they now run just fine. Note that the separation between the lips at the front and rear is NOT usually the same distance.

But after all that work I realized I just hadn't saved enough money to make it worth what I had saved buying ProMags. I have had to re-tune those mags a couple times over the years as they seem to be pretty soft steel and any abuse wacks them out of shape.

Adam,

Para should have given you a certificate allowing you to buy two hicaps in the same caliber as your LDA. Since you live in CA, they will send you two ten rounders for free in lieu of the hicaps. That's worth $115 for the same two mags from Brownell's.

Contrary to some people's experience, all 7 factory ten rounders, and all my hicaps, for that matter, have, from day one, run reliably in my Paras, which includes my new LDA as well as my stock P16 w/ an aftermarket barrel, and my Para framed Limited gun built from aftermarket parts.

Four reliable mags will be good for most of what you'll do. Tweak the Pro mags as suggested, use them for practice, and keep the two most reliable in your bag along w/ the factory mags for those extra high round count field courses, or the multiple string standards in IPSC/IDPA.

Or,........ call Brownell's ;)

Kevin C.

One more thing I forgot to add about aftermarket Para-mags available out there, I will have to commend S-I Para replacement tubes for the fastest reload I've ever done. The much tapered shape of the tube is just dandy specially when counting on that rapid reload. They do require lots of tweaking, but once tuned it's just marvelous! josh