Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Control....

spook

Sometimes a random impulse causes your mind to wander off it's regular path of thoughts and you see things from a different perspective.

Something made me realize that when I pull the trigger on my revolver, I just control the hammer and the cylinder. It's funny because the first thing I noticed when I started shooting revo about two years ago, was that I couldn't hold the sights still when I pulled the trigger, so that became my focus. And in threads around these boards I kept (and keep) reading about how you shouldn't disturb sight picture when you pull the trigger. This subconsciously led me to pulling the sights off when I wasn't paying attention to the way I pulled the trigger. I linked the triggerpull to sight picture.

With my new focus (trigger finger controls hammer, nothing else) I've mentally separated the trigger finger from the sights. And all of a sudden I realized my hold control the sights.

Strange thing. I change the way I think and now I can pull the trigger as fast as I can while maintaining a perfect sight picture.

• 3 weeks later...

Spook - Really glad that I read your post. The more that I get into this the more I become aware of what BE talks about in his book regarding "individual technique". Of course I have gained much from the many sources on this site that has helped me tremendously but sometimes one just has to do things the way that it works for them. I was having a problem with tigger control i.e. pulling down. I got all kind of constructive advice. But in the end I came up with my own solution. Shooting my 1911, I was always told to keep the left thumbs pointed at the target. However someone saw my right thumb on the safety and asked me if I was putting any pressure on it. I didn't know so I ran a Mag and about the 4th shot, when it dropped I became consicous of putting downward pressure on the safety. Therefore, I now "overlap" the right thumb onto the left and following Sig Lady's suggestion of being more gentle with the trigger, I am getting nice groups at 20 yards. I know this has nothing to do with your comments about your revolver but it struck me that you worked the problem out yourself. Good & Safe Shooting JC - :)

Sherlock,

Nice post. It's always good to find out stuff yourself. That's what Brian and Rob (and most of the other great shooters) did. I think it's "the way" of really improving. You can read Brian's book over and over, but it's only a bunch of words until you start to understand and see for yourself.

Thanks,

Björn

• 2 weeks later...

Now to go off on a total tangent ...

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill the Buddha."

This Buddhist teaching usually freaks people out when they first hear/read it. From the last two posts, I think you might understand it.