Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Suppressed

Baer45

I bought a suppressor for a Les Baer 45 to shoot at home without bothering the neighbors and I can not get it to function properly. No gunsmith around Richmond seems to want to mess with it. It is a top notch can. Anyone know anyone tht can tune the can to this gun for me? As always, thanks for any feedback...

I just built a 1911 Suppressed using a YHM Maxim (Non boosted) can. I'm running an 8 lb recoil spring and will probably be dropping to a 7 once everything gets broken back in after refinish. What issues are you having, extraction, feeding? Where does the brass go when it does fire?

If it's a boosted can, pull it apart and clean the ever livin' snot out of the booster assembly. Check and make SURE it moves freely, without any binding or excess drag. Also make sure there isn't any wobble between the booster body and the piston that threads to the muzzle. That can cause binding, not to mention baffle strikes and other such ugly happenings. If it's a non boosted can, make sure of its weight. IIRC, you can't expect anything over 10 oz to cycle on a 1911 without a booster. It MAY be less than that, I'll do some digging for the actual numbers.

Ken

Chuck, what is the actual, not advertised, weight of your Maxim?

Not sure. It's the lightest non-.22 can I have, by a lot though. It's screwed onto the gun now, and I don't want to pull it off to weigh it. It's also the biggest pain in the butt can to install I've got. That puppy is tight going on.

Wow I did not know that you needed that light of a spring to use with a can. That would make me think a suppressor would really reduce recoil. I have never shot one but it is on my bucket list. let us know how it turns out.

Sorry guys- I've been out of town watching over a bunch of high school Senior teenage boys at a Beach House! As soon as I get my head straight I will get back on type of can, etc. C

Sorry guys- I've been out of town watching over a bunch of high school Senior teenage boys at a Beach House! As soon as I get my head straight I will get back on type of can, etc. C

Worthless.jpg

Wow I did not know that you needed that light of a spring to use with a can. That would make me think a suppressor would really reduce recoil. I have never shot one but it is on my bucket list. let us know how it turns out.

With a boostered can, you don't need a light spring. Unboostered cans, on the other hand, do require extra-light springs. Suppressors can indeed reduce felt recoil; however, running a recoil booster - as one typically does on pistols with Browning actions - nullifies that effect. ;)

I'm running the lightest spring available from Wolff for my 92FS (7# or 8#, IIRC) when running it suppressed with an unboostered T9. I personally wouldn't bother with trying to run a full-size unboostered can on a Browning action.

Wow I did not know that you needed that light of a spring to use with a can. That would make me think a suppressor would really reduce recoil. I have never shot one but it is on my bucket list.

Think of it this way - you need a lighter recoil spring when you put a comp on a race gun. This is because the gas hitting the baffles pushes the barrel forward, against the recoil impulse. So you need a lighter spring or the barrel won't be able to move backward far enough to unlock from the slide.

Now with a silencer, you have more baffles and add a significant amount of weight to the end of the barrel as well. There are a few lightweight cans that don't need a booster, but for the most part you need a booster to get the gun to run. Your other option is to use a fixed-barrel pistol, and then you can use as heavy of a can as you want.

Now for recoil reduction, yes it does do this. Again, the baffles in a silencer work like the baffles in a comp, pushing the barrel forward against the rear recoil forces. But with the booster, you get a really weird 2-stage recoil impulse. It's nothing like shooting a comped racegun. In fact, I've shot a stage with my STI Open gun, and then with my dot-sighted, suppressed Glock 17, and my times with the Glock were significantly slower. And after shooting the comped gun, the suppressed gun's recoil was really noticeable.

But to get an idea of what kind of recoil reduction you can get, here's my Desert Eagle with nothing / with a brake / and with a silencer.

Cool, we were just talking about the CAC the other day, any idea what that stands for?

That would be the Cheap-Ass-Can. Really.

While there are quieter cans out there, they typically cost 2 or 3 times more. So these have always been a pretty decent cost per performance value. I've had mine for over 10 years now, and recently upgraded to the most current baffle stack, which is noticeably quieter than the old design.

On the Uzi, it sounds just as good as the more expensive cans.

Cool, we were just talking about the CAC the other day, any idea what that stands for?

That would be the Cheap-Ass-Can. Really.

While there are quieter cans out there, they typically cost 2 or 3 times more. So these have always been a pretty decent cost per performance value. I've had mine for over 10 years now, and recently upgraded to the most current baffle stack, which is noticeably quieter than the old design.

On the Uzi, it sounds just as good as the more expensive cans.

According to Tom Bowers that's exactly what it means, I've always wondered how many people knew that. :cheers: