Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which is the best choke to use

i've got a match coming up that requires shooting steel and paper (slugs on paper). So what's the best choke to use? i've been using an improved cylinder but it seems to spread quite a bit.

There is no general answer since it depends on distance of the steel, do you have tight shots on no shoots, how hard is it to knock down the steel etc. You might also find that your slugs seem to "like" one choke vs another in terms of accuracy. And you might find some of these problems with the improved choke you describe can be solved by changing shot size or shotshell brand.

If you do not feel comfortable with the improved cylinder, buy an aftermarket "light modified". A traditional "modified" seems a bit tight for most use and does not seem to perform the best with at least my slugs.

A Light Modified is the very best all round choke for 3-gunning, pleanty of shot on steel out to 30 yds, and great with slugs. You NEVER have to guess which choke you have in, and it is great for flying targets as well. It is all I have run since 96 and I am so sold on it that I even silver soldered it in! in 97. :devil: